Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: tooter goes big time...

1. Default

N gauge? You can have a whole N gauge layout between that gauge!
    Eric from Boston, MA. Modeling Norfolk Southern and Pan Am Railways.

2. Default

Tooter.... what's next? This?

That is a mock-up of a tank car to train tank car cleaning crews. It even has those spoked wheels that you like
    Eric from Boston, MA. Modeling Norfolk Southern and Pan Am Railways.

3. Default

Very cool Eric, might have to re-gauge a little tho...
    Greg that trackwork is lookin' good! All I can do here is run the lawntractor down my ROW and make choo choo noises in my head!
    Last edited by Rico; 05-20-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: spelt rong
    Questions answered, Answers questionable.

4. Default

Wow... that tank is HUGE!

Finally got the pull cart going...

The bottom curve of the track is level and the straight section is a 5% grade then a 7% grade going into the upper curve.

In the sunshine where the trains run all day!

Pretty cool stuff Greg! Loved the breaking pedal test. Looks like everything works smoothly as butter!
    "Not always profitable and it's never on time, but you won't have to walk when a riding on this line!" Quoted from a Broake & Howe RR Engineer
    WN&K Railroad A.K.A. the "Wink" The line is so small, employees are told not to blink, when a working the "Wink".

The downhill was fine. The uphill had me saying, "I think he can, I think he can".

Greg, you need to install a flywheel on it.

7. Default

It actually takes very little effort to get it up the grade because the handle has a lot of leverage. Tt took a bit of experimenting to get that right because I was building everything from scratch with no previous examples to work from. One feature it had to have is the ability to coast, because if it didn't, I'd get beat to death with the lever on the screaming downhill runs.

Not to mention you'd just be going forwards & backwards on the same section of track!

Have you had any neighbours or passers-by ask you what you're doing?
    Pete - Click here for my Youtube channel

Modelling the Burlington Northern RR from inception to the early '80s

9. Default

It'll easily be a year before I get all of the track laid as it's quite a time consuming process to get the gradient right through the joints while keeping the rails level with each other.

While none of the neighbors have asked because what I'm doing is self evident...

...they all want rides.

In the sunshine where the trains run all day!

Quote Originally Posted by tooter View Post
    One feature it had to have is the ability to coast, because if it didn't, I'd get beat to death with the lever on the screaming downhill runs.
    What a sight that put into my minds eye! Thanks for the laugh.
    "Not always profitable and it's never on time, but you won't have to walk when a riding on this line!" Quoted from a Broake & Howe RR Engineer
    WN&K Railroad A.K.A. the "Wink" The line is so small, employees are told not to blink, when a working the "Wink".