Modern oil refinery

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Motley

Hey guys. I will be starting my extension room layout soon. The benchwork is complete. So time to start laying track.

There is an oil refinery just east of Denver. Called Suncor. That I want to model. My first plans were to model a steel mill. But I think it would be more appropriate for my theme, which is Colorado D&RGW 1989-Current.

I plan on keeping the same plan. Just replacing the steel mill with the oil refinery.

Would the rotary dumper be appropriate for the oil refinery? The yard is for all coal hoppers.

And the oil loading docks will have all tanker cars.

Any suggestions or insight on how to properly model the oil refinery would be appreciated.

Here's the plan...(note: the bottom is staging)

MOTLEY33.jpg

And here's a google view of the oil refinery.

Suncor.jpg

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Walthers makes or use to make a Refinery that will fit almost any railroad design. In my Refinery I have 2 of the kits tied together on a back wall. I also use 6in. & 8in. PVC caps for tanks & the Walthers tanks, Life Like Tanks, Faller tanks & some other misc. stuff. You can get a piping kit from Walthers w/some small pump houses. I looked up that Suncor refinery at ground level & it shows some of the same buildings I was talking about. Someone here on the Forum might have some kits to sell too in the refinery line.

Motley

Thanks for the great suggestions Larry. I'll looking into those kits.

Can you post some pics of your refinery?

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Here's an old picture of my Refinery. I haven't taken any pictures of it since I added the other kit. I'll do that some times this week :rolleyes:
You'll notice that the PVC caps are cut in half to fit between the rails & the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motley

Thanks Larry! That is a great looking refinery! You just gave me some ideas for mine.

Yes please post more photos when you get a chance.

Motley

I made some modifications to the oil refinery trackwork. And planned the out the structures.

And I also took a drive today, to the Suncor Oil Refinery Plant. To take some photos, that is, until security came and yelled at me, and told me to leave the property! OOOPS!! :eek:

Oil%252520Refinery-4.jpg

P1000430.jpg

P1000433.jpg

P1000441.jpg

P1000443.jpg

This is the rotary dumper

P1000449.jpg

P1000456.jpg

fiend540

I smelled this place before I passed it on my way to I76 speedway saturday lol. A little OT but there is a yard that you can see from I76 in the town of Hudson that is jammed packed with black tank cars, I'm talking what looks like a couple hundred or so. Any ideas what they are used for, there is an industry I can see on google maps but there is no name associated with it.

I also saw that same Hopper train on my way home from work!

Motley

Geeez, that's too funny. There's actually a landfill/dump in Commerce City, that you smelled.

I think the yard near Hudson, must be just a holding yard. Not aware of an oil industry there.

The coal trains, usually head to one of the Denver yards, and then up to the mountains or down south where you live. There are some coal mines in the mountains. Like Plainview, Leadville, the Moffat Line.

You should go check out the oil refinery, it's very intriguing. Just don't take pictures though, ooops.

fiend540

Pretty sure it was the refinery and not the dump, the smell was very distinct and reminds me of a NOCO energy Storage tank field in Tonawanda NY. I will have to check it out though, as well as this neat Industrial park I noticed on my way to work near where the 225 meets I70. Need to try out my new camera.

BTW I was originally taking the 470 to work, that is until I saw the toll prices and nearly crapped my pants. No wonder it's always deserted, it would cost me 6 bucks each way to work, I can drive across 3/4 of NY for that price!

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
And the last 3 pictures.:)
I need to add a lot of pipes, pump sheds, weathering, people, etc, etc., etc.:cool::rolleyes::(:):eek:;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Motley

Thanks for the rest of the photos Larry. Looks great!

I went and took more photos of the refinery. This will be a panorama for my backdrop. It will be about 5 1/2 ft. long and 24" high.

P1000505.JPG

Motley

Im pretty sure Walthers stopped making the oil refinery in HO scale.

Yes I realized that when searching for kits. But thank god for ebay, there a few for sale on there. In fact I found someone selling a combo kit, the walthers refinery, a wide oil tank, a tall oil tank, and all the piping. Kind of expensive though. But oh well.

I also found the papermill walthers rotary dumper that was just released. But had a hell of a time finding one. This must be a very popular item.

I might also add some other refinery items that I found, like Plastistruct has some.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.