Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldering Track???

1. Default Soldering Track???

Should I leave the rail joiners in place and solder right over them?

I am currently using a small butane torch with a removable tip? Good or Bad?

Should the track be laying flat while soldering or up on it's edge so that the outside of the track is facing up?

2. Default

Do a youtube search for "soldering track", you'll find some good how to's.

Essentially, you do want to solder the track into the rail joiners. They provide much more surface area than rail to rail butt joints.

A soldering iron is probably a better choice than a tourch. Much more control over where the heat is applied.

You should solder the outside of the track and it should be lying flat when you do so.

Doug

It only takes a drop of solder. Too much and you'll mostly be making a mess

4. Default

Use a sharp toothpick to force a bit of past flux into the crevices at the base of the rails where the joiner sits. Then heat the joiner and touch the solder wire to the ends of the joiner. As the flux begins to sputter and hiss, the solder should begin to melt and want to follow the flux. You don't need much of either flux or solder, but you do need clean rails...if they have been painted to weather them, it may be a lost cause.

You need a 30 watt, plus or minus a few, iron with a fine blade tip, or a good point. Let it heat up for a full six or seven minutes before you use it. Keep the tip clean...and tinned. Dip quickly in and out of the paste, then touch wire solder to the tip.

Also, you want the finest solder you can get. It should be less than 1 mm in diameter.
    Crandell

Default track soldering

Some good advice so far.
    Also I would suggest you attach a small alligator clip either side of the joint, to dissipate the heat, otherwise you will melt the ties.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by maczimb View Post
    Some good advice so far.
    Also I would suggest you attach a small alligator clip either side of the joint, to dissipate the heat, otherwise you will melt the ties.
    Mac
    How many ties have I melted - wow. This is a good tip. You can do it without a heat dissipater if you move quickly, but an extra tool certainly simplifies things.

7. Default

Called a heat sink? do I attach these clips onto track? Tx Tommy

I never used a torch before
    I'd feel more comfortable with a soldering gun, ready to use, easier.
    Bill

Tommy, just clip them to the rail on either side of where you're soldering (leave room to get in with the iron). It gives the heat a better chance to escape into the air, rather than building in the rail and melting the ties.
    "Dare to be stupid." -Weird Al

Quote Originally Posted by tomytuna View Post
    Called a heat sink? do I attach these clips onto track? Tx Tommy
    What I do....

http://www.w8ji.com/soldering_track_joints.htm