Thread: Track "templates"?

Default Track "templates"?

Before I decide to spend more money (what little I have of it) on 22" radius curves I'd like to get a visual on how much more space they'd take up versus the 18" curves currently in place. Are there any "templates" out there I can print and cut out to place on my layout?
    Akron Canton & Lakeshore Lines - "Protolancing" Eastern Ohio Circa 1995

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nwdrummer379 View Post
    Before I decide to spend more money (what little I have of it) on 22" radius curves I'd like to get a visual on how much more space they'd take up versus the 18" curves currently in place. Are there any "templates" out there I can print and cut out to place on my layout?
    A 22" radii will make a 44" circle, so in order to make half a circle, you'll need at least 48" wide to do it. That will place a straight at 2" from the edge of a 4x8 and that is a little close.

A 18" radii will make a 36" circle, so that will take less room, than the 22" radii will.

Go to www.anyrail.com and you can download the trial version. It's free. You can link up to 50 pieces before you cannot do anymore, but you can work your plan in sections and see if it works for you.

Atlas also has a track software program to work only with their track and it is free.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=51991542123

Uses 1/2" dowell rod, so it can be as big as you need it to be...I used it to template where my 130' turntable will go.

4. Default

You can copy a few curve sections full size on a copier and tape them to your roadbed. I did that with some turnouts for my latest HO layout since I've never had a plan that transfered exactly as drawn.