Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22" radius on a 4x8?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Good luck running the Superliners on 22" curves, I have 24" curves and had to install long shank Kadee couplers #26.

I would try to squeeze out another 4" on each side, maybe just a 4" strip of plywood can easily be added to the 4x8.
    It won't look good, but I did manage to get a superliner around a 14" curve on a branchline at the club (that curve has since been redone)

Thanks for all of that Steinjr. Someday i want to break away from the 4x8 when I graduate high school, then college. Once i have my own home my larger layout will be designed with the ability to easily run Superliner equipment on it. I love Amtrak equipment and my LHS recently started to stock superliners on a regular basis. I'm going to begin collecting these cars and "test run" them on my current 4x8 layout. I'm not too worried about looks, but beleive me, someday i will be. Like others have previously mentioned, I want to model a scaled down version of Chicago Union Station in the future seeing as it would be easy for me to do since I travelled through there on the Capitol Limited and the California Zephyr the past two years.
    Akron Canton & Lakeshore Lines - "Protolancing" Eastern Ohio Circa 1995

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nwdrummer379 View Post
    Thanks for all of that Steinjr. Someday i want to break away from the 4x8 when I graduate high school, then college. Once i have my own home my larger layout will be designed with the ability to easily run Superliner equipment on it. I love Amtrak equipment and my LHS recently started to stock superliners on a regular basis. I'm going to begin collecting these cars and "test run" them on my current 4x8 layout. I'm not too worried about looks, but beleive me, someday i will be. Like others have previously mentioned, I want to model a scaled down version of Chicago Union Station in the future seeing as it would be easy for me to do since I travelled through there on the Capitol Limited and the California Zephyr the past two years.
    I think you missed my core point. It was not "it is nice to have a large layout".

It was "if you actually have little space, then it makes sense to consider some other approaches than a 4x8 rectangle for a H0 scale loop of track".

To illustrate my point - the room I could build a layout in is 6.5 x 11.5 foot, with a chimney base in a corner taking away 2 square feet, for a total of 72 square feet.

There is no way I could fit anything as big as 32 square feet 4x8 foot rectangular layout into that room and still have some sensible use of the room (I could put in a 4x8 with a big hole in the middle, and crawl under the table to get into the pit).

So what did I do? I built a layout that went around the walls of the room instead. 38 square feet of layout, room for several visually separated scenes, access to everything - and the option of building nice curves for longer equipment. This is what I ended up with for my layout:

Btw - note that I actually did not bother to go for bigger mainline curves than 22" radius - since I only run 40-foot cars and short engines. 22" radius is a 4x curve for cars that are 5.5" long (ie 40-foot H0 scale cars). For a car that is 12" long (ie an 85 foot passenger car in H0 scale), you need a curve with radius 36" to get up to 3x curves.

But there certainly is room if I had wanted to make gentler curves for longer - my upper limit for a continuous run track plan is about 36-38" radius - the width of the room is just 6.5 feet. But if my main goal had been running passenger trains, I would have gone for N scale - where 22-24" radius curves would have nice wide curves for passenger equipment.

Some images showing the layout (not in a very completed state):

Is is a great layout? Nope. But there is plenty of room for trying out some different scenes which won't have interfere with each other too badly visually. There is also plenty of space for storage and a workbench under the layout:

Smile,
    Stein
    Last edited by steinjr; 10-20-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added some images

4. Default

Agreed. Cutting that sheet of ply into three or four lengths will have you into a around-the-wall shelf project that will keep you busy for months just getting it scenicked. You'll have a more realistic linear railroad, just like in real life, and you'll be able to reach it all easily.

Crandell

5. Default

I think Stein's post is excellent. Do consider what he has to say.

When I said "bigger" layout i meant an around the walls type, by cutting up a 4x8 sheet. I certainly appreciate all of your points and will be using them in time.
    Akron Canton & Lakeshore Lines - "Protolancing" Eastern Ohio Circa 1995

I guess it depends on how realistic you want the train to look. It is possible to modify the trucks on a Superliner to make them run on 18" radius curves, but it looks bad. If you don't care about looks, and absolutely have to have superliners in HO, on a 4x8, just perform "surgery" using washers on the trucks, to allow more play in them, and install longer length coupler shanks, and you will be back on track so-to-speak!
    -------------------------------------
    Modelling the railroads of
    Chicago's Union Station

I'm a fan of "beyond the 4 x 8" myself, but they do have their advantages for beginners. Even the most basic carpentry skills will get you by. You can buy the wood in one piece. There are track plans that will work nicely on them. It gets you started building something, instead of getting stuck in the planning stage. The old "HO Railroad That Grows" started with a 4 x 8, and so did the Gorre & Daphetid. If you keep to 40 foot cars (60 footers for passenger trains) and four axle locos or small steamers, trains will look OK on it. Your available space, time, and money budgets will determine what's best for you. MR has a good section on 4 x 8 layouts this month. Check it out.

PS: Great for N scalers!
    Alan

Modeling Espee on the Coast and in steam

Question

So does anybody else find it odd that I can run any passenger car-even bi levels on a 24" radius, but yet the single level Amfleets won't run at all, and yet Walthers says they will run on a 24" radius. Just a thought?
    Modelling the railroads of
    Chicago's Union Station

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by airport1246 View Post
    I guess it depends on how realistic you want the train to look. It is possible to modify the trucks on a Superliner to make them run on 18" radius curves, but it looks bad. If you don't care about looks, and absolutely have to have superliners in HO, on a 4x8, just perform "surgery" using washers on the trucks, to allow more play in them, and install longer length coupler shanks, and you will be back on track so-to-speak!
    I've run it on a 14 inch radius curve. It makes a horrible squealing noise and looks awful, but it will make it around. (I was "breaking it in" on the branch line at the club)

Quote Originally Posted by airport1246 View Post
    So does anybody else find it odd that I can run any passenger car-even bi levels on a 24" radius, but yet the single level Amfleets won't run at all, and yet Walthers says they will run on a 24" radius. Just a thought?
    The Walthers amfleet trucks are total trash. They don't roll very well and they also don't like curves. Inboard bearing trucks are hard to do in HO scale since the axle is held in by the inside part of the axle and not the needlepoint. The only solution is to lube the hell out of the trucks and/or swap out the trucks for the ones made by IHP (Imperial Hobby Productions).
    Last edited by diburning; 01-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Eric from Boston, MA. Modeling Norfolk Southern and Pan Am Railways.