Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manufactures going out of business?

CJ, I don't know where the IHC dealer got his information, but Mehano is going strong. Their website is at http://www.mehano.si/?PID=21. They are now selling under their own name and no longer sell through IHC, so maybe the dealer was confused by them severing ties with IHC. My late wife was Slovenian and I have been to Slovenia a couple of times. Her second cousin is the sales manager for Mehano and we talk by e-mail on a regular basis. He said that Mehano has had a big slowdown in business over the past two years, like other European train manufacturers. Luckily for Mehano, they also make a broad line of children's toys, and those sales have held up pretty well. Alen says train sales are starting to pick up again and they expect to be selling American prototype models through US distributors by the summer. Check out the ATSF 4-6-4 with LocSound at http://www.mehano.si/?PID=21&CID=40&ID=526. Alen sent me a video of the production model and it looks and sounds pretty impressive. They'll be using Kadee's on the US imports and Alen says they hope to keep the price at around USD 250.
    Regards, Jim

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UP2CSX View Post
    CJ, I don't know where the IHC dealer got his information, but Mehano is going strong... He said that Mehano has had a big slowdown in business over the past two years, like other European train manufacturers. Luckily for Mehano, they also make a broad line of children's toys, and those sales have held up pretty well...
    Jim;

Believe it or not, that's good news to me. The dealer got his info from IHC directly, and consisdering who is IHC, I felt the info was suspect.

One thing this hobby needs are manufacturers who can supply steam locos that are good quality at a fair price. Although I don't own any Mehano/IHC locos, they are of that quality and price, so someone without a lot of money can get a steam loco without getting a second mortgage.

Edit: That 4-6-4 looks real good, even with the "photoshopped", smoke.
    Last edited by Cjcrescent; 02-20-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    Carey
    Playing at expert again!!
    Keep it Between the Rails
    Alabama Central Homepage
    NARA Member #128
    SER & NMRA Lifer

CJ, LOL, I told Alen the picture looked a little hokey too. He said they have the tooling for a couple of "IHC" steam engines that they are upgrading and hoping to get to market for the holidays. They've been concentrating on the European market for the past couple of years, but really want to get back into the US market as a recognizable name, and have the Mehano name associated with quality models. Slovenia is still a relatively low wage country for Europe, so they are doing everything they can to keep the production in Slovenia and not move it offshore. I hope they are successful. It would be nice to get some quality steam locomotives with sound for less than $300.
    Regards, Jim

I noticed the Mehano website did not list a US distributor. I sure miss IHC since they sold a lot of good kitbash fodder. Their rebranded line of old HO Pola structures could be turned into all sorts of good things and I liked being able to get creative with the locomotives without worrying about losing a fortune if I screwed up. It is funny how a little paint can change the whole character of an inexpensive plastic kit. The little SP 2-6-0's are my favorites; they run well and are quite easy to add DCC decoders to.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHunter View Post
    It seems that Internation Hobby Corp (IHC) has gone MIA also. Their website (www.ihc-hobby.com) has been down for quite some time.

Try the old fashioned way of communicating:

International Hobby Corporation
    413 East Allegheny Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19134-2322
    (215) 426-2873‎
    Will Annand
    Credit Valley Railway, N Scale circa 1900
    www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHunter View Post
    It seems that Internation Hobby Corp (IHC) has gone MIA also. Their website (www.ihc-hobby.com) has been down for quite some time.
    I have read somewhere that the owner Bernie Paul was in bad health and that the company was being shut down by his family.

Mehano expects to have an American distributor by summer. I'm not at liberty to say more, but it will be a major distributor. If things go right, you should be seeing Mehano models on your LHS shelves by fall.
    Regards, Jim