New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Rustolum

Thanks again Jim. I like that thing, even If I cant use it for my boy. I might grab one or two for other things. :)

rustoleum

Hey guys, I thought sence I finally got this controller done for my son, id show you guys what I was talking about. Its not 100% done. I Still have a few little things to work out. But it runs like I wanted. "Spining slowly both left and right."

Seeing as its not 100% done. I thought Id ask if any one had any suggestion'a as to what I could use for an attachment from the little metal rod that you see sticking out from the front, to the dial on the train sets throttle. I was thinking a suction cup of sorts. But maybe some one has a better idea?

DSC02099.png

DSC02100.png

DSC02101.png

DSC02103.png

Yes CSX color theme.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Fantastic, nice work I'm sure it'll be appreciated. Assuming the rod will connect to a rotary throttle I'd suggest a universal coupling, if it's a worm geared type of drive I'd still use a universal coupling, in any case keeping the drive line straight as possible.

Cheers
Willis

rustoleum

I was thinking about putting some sorta universal coupling / ball joint in place. But wasnt able to find one small enough around me. So for the time being the entire motor houseing and mount rod, ( both parts with srtipes ). Acts as an abjustable swing arm in a sence.

Oh, Yeah the table hes sitting at I made too. :) Just thought id say.

smiley

Looks beautiful! The whole setup, with the desk and buttons and lever, reminds me a lot of the control consoles used on the light rail here in San Francisco. It certainly does make things feel more like operating a train than operating an oscilloscope.

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Looks like a very ingenious solution to your problem. I'm wondering if you couldn't use some plastic tubing, like that sold for aquariums, as a universal joint? Seems like having some kind of mechanical connection to the power pack would be more reliable and you'd have a little more wiggle room (literally) in terms of the table location. Nice table too, :)

rustoleum

Looks like a very ingenious solution to your problem. I'm wondering if you couldn't use some plastic tubing, like that sold for aquariums, as a universal joint? Seems like having some kind of mechanical connection to the power pack would be more reliable and you'd have a little more wiggle room (literally) in terms of the table location. Nice table too, :)

That tubbing is a really good idea. I have some around too. Which makes it even better. :)

Very good idea indeed.

rustoleum

Hi everyone.

I finaly got around to putting the table together for my son. Had a freind put the video up on youtube for me. Thought Id show anyone interested were I have gotten to after week one of putting this layout together, and show just how the throttle control works. I got a few tiny bugs to work out but its 100% working.

I also want to thank everyone that offered opinions and help.
Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3vxCdc4okI

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.