Modell Railroad Links

Thread: New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default New to Model Trains. Looking for advice.

Hi there everyone that bothers to read this.

This is my first post and I have a feeling not my last. Im a long time rail fan and I just picked up a HO scale Atlas Model Railroad set for my 5 year old son. Now I know your thinking 5 is to young for a set of this level. But hes not going to have his hands actually on the trains ever. He has CP and a plethora of other medical issues / problems and very poor motor skills.

Ok to the point of why I set up a account on this forum. Here is what I am dealing with and need help with.

Becuase he has such poor control of his hinds. I need use a device for him to make the trains move. I have the power supply that came with the set. Its a standard single 0 to 10 dial. I need to some how convert the dial control into a button. To activate to train into motion.

I have a few potential options.

I can use a device like the one below. I plug the trains power source into, and then plug a switch into it. The switch is then acting as the dial.
    Below is an image of the type of switch and a type of relay system that I have now to work with. But im worried about damaging the motor of the engine train.

This is a type of switch that might be used. It plugs in to the device below it.

This is the device I will have pluged into the wall socket.
    From this device below I would then plug the power supply.

When my son press's the button it opens the circut.

But the problem im faceing is. How can I make a control, that will allow him to press or hold down that will slowly bring the train up to speed? I know I cant just leave the power supply set at say 3? So every time he hit the switch the train will move. Or can I with out running the risk of cooking the motor on the train?

Im am hopping this thread terns into a large discussion.
    If anyone has any ideas? Or question about what im trying to do or say? Please unleash your thoughts. I have 24 days until xmas to have this figured out.
    Last edited by Rustolum; 12-01-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling