Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Loop ????????

Exclamation Reverse Loop ????????

Can someone please explain a reverse loop wiring situation? I have a reversing loop in my track but I'm not exactly sure how to wire it, or isulate the track section. Do I need any type of special switch for this?

Well SC maybe this will help
    Click-->

When a loco is coming out of the loop then the polarity of the main track has to be reversed, this is done with a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch.
    If you are using DCC it is much simpler because it can be done automatically by the system.
    So I guess the question now is are you using DC or DCC?

Willis
    REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

:
    My CB&CNS Rwy. HO Layout

The reversing (insulated both ends, both rails) section should at least be long as the locomotive(s)and tender (if steam). If you use lighted passenger cars, then this section should be at least the length of the train. Otherwise, the passenger cars will keep trying to cause a reversal or short as each contact wheel crosses the gap while other cars are in and out of the exit side.
    Last edited by RexHea; 01-18-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    REX
    Blue Creek & Warrior Railways (circu 1950's)
    "Connecting the South"

Click--> Sorry, Coming soon!

4. Default

There is also the setup with a bridge rectifier in line with the power to the loop. You simply reverse the train with the throttle while it is in motion and it keeps moving without stopping. I have a diagram somewhere if I can only dig it up. Someone may have one handy?

Sorry...... I forgot to mention this is a DC system. I have considered switching to DCC. Would I have the same issue if it were a DCC setup?

Reggie

Reggie, I use DCC and with it I use an electronic reverser for all my reversing loops. Mine is a simple reverser only and sells for $32 while some with combinations breaker/reversers/stationary decoders can cost around $50 and more. Some larger layouts have boosters that have built-in reversers.

An automatic electronic reverser senses a short at the track gap when the loco's wheel is on the gap and the polarities are opposite in the reversing section. It very quickly (milli secs) flips the polarity to match the lead-in track. Then as the train moves out of this section, the same happens at the exit.
    Last edited by RexHea; 01-19-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    REX
    "Connecting the South"

Reggie, consider switching to DCC now. The reverse loop is a good example. With DC, you need to not only see that you get the wiring right but you have to worry about locomotive and train length, as Rex indicated. Even if that all works, you have to remember to throw that toggle switch before the train come out of the loop or it's short city. Then you have to throw the toggle back again once the train is clear of the loop. Instead, you can just spend $32, hook up two wires, and never have to worry about the reverse loop again. Unless you like to do lots of wiring, chasing down shorts and spend most of your time throwing toggle switches instead of running your trains, DCC is the answer. Just ask Rext how much fun it would be to have the whole gang of us over if his layout was wired for DC.
    Last edited by UP2CSX; 01-19-2009 at 09:38 PM.
    Regards, Jim

Yeah Reggie, DCC is great and really one of the main reasons I returned to the hobby.

When I had Jim and the Gang over for an Op session, they ran in all directions on any track and all I had to do was keep them from running into each other .

DC would have been a real pain in the rear having to throw rotary switches for routes and allow only one train on a section of track,... worst of all, I probably wouldn't have had the session because I would still be doing all the wiring.
    REX
    "Connecting the South"

OH! my I feel another what to buy DCC thread coming on

Seriously Rex and Jim are right, if you have Reverse loops DCC is the way to go.
    I had two reverse loops with 3 tracks each and the whole system DC with power routing was controlled by these few switches
    Click-->
    When things went wrong, well it was a devil of a time to trace out the fault, in fact after the last fault, I dismantled the whole thing to start over again. I ordered my first DCC system Saturday past, so besides rebuilding there's no turning back now, DC will be a thing of the past. There's a link in my signature to my layout before the destruction

How large is your layout? Do you have a track plan or photos of it?

Cheers
    Willis
    REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

:
    My CB&CNS Rwy. HO Layout

10. Default

Aha, I found the page (by George Schreyer) I was thinking of:
    http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips3/reversing_tips.html
    If you want to reverse while in the loop you'll need a dpdt switch to do it. You can also wire in a bi color LED to indicate polarity for entering the loop.
    Our train club used the bridge rectifier setup at the CNR training school layout in Gimli MB and it worked slick!