Uncoupling Magnets

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I was having some problems w/uncoupling w/my new magnets because the couplers had to be directly centered above the magnet. Well, I added 2 more magnets in the next opening between the ties & it works even better now. I had some xtra's from the last set of rails I put in. So, now I've got to order 100 more for me & 100 for a friend for his layout.

MopacOkie

Double magnets

Larry,

That sounds like a good idea because it can be tricky to get the couplers aligned with the single magnets. I'll have to give it a try.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

35tac

Wayne B
Magnet uncouplers

I was having some problems w/uncoupling w/my new magnets because the couplers had to be directly centered above the magnet. Well, I added 2 more magnets in the next opening between the ties & it works even better now. I had some xtra's from the last set of rails I put in. So, now I've got to order 100 more for me & 100 for a friend for his layout.

Larry, thanks for the tip on doubling up. I have installed pairs based on the article. They work great but doubling up might make things a lot easier for me. I did try to duplicate the jig used for installing to the correct depth. The description was good but pictures would have been better. I will try to remember to take a pictures of the jig and instalation tool. It does help consistancy.
Wayne

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I tried making the Jig when I 1st started this project, but gave up & just figured to put them in & adjust them when needed. So far have only needed to adjust one. On my tables I drill the hole all the way thru, that way I can push the magnet up from the bottom when needed w/a small screwdriver or an awl. I always put a small dot of adhesive on the magnet when I install it, but it doesn't stop me from doing an adjustment. The only problems I have had w/all of these magnets is grabbing the Gladhand on truck mounted couplers as the car goes by. It doesn't stop the car or derail it. You just hear a click.

35tac

Wayne B
The dimensions in the magazine says .030 from the top of the rail & just enough clearance on the side for a loco flange to clear. You also have to adjust the coupler hose to the right heighths. NMRA coupler Ga. I found out this was pretty important for the magnets to work. You also have to be pretty good at stopping over the magnets w/the nudge button on your controller. I'm getting better daily at that. I have to find some way of marking the rails where the magnets are behind a set of cars. Right now I have nails right next to the magnets. In the magazine they show fake white sand that looks like it's been dumped by a sanding tank on a loco across the magnets.

Larry

Larry, I found a good idea for marking the uncoupling spots. I noticed at the local N&S yard that there were orange safety cones (2) at spots on all tracks in the yard. I have no idea why, maybe someone on the forum can tell us but thats how I marked the uncoupling spots. It looks prototypical.
Wayne

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
That's a good idea, but what happens when a bunch of cars are sitting in front of the cones & you can't see them? I've tried about 10 different ways of marking them, but it doesn't look good to a visitor or me. When you have 60 cars in a yard & the magnets are about 3 ft. apart the cars hide everything. There's got to be a cheap way of doing it w/out electronics, but, I haven't thought of it yet. I had put in long wood stir sticks & painted them flat black & put a spot of brite red paint on top, but everytime I reached across the area I snapped them off at the base. Just thought of something that might work even better. How about a small stick on a coil spring base attached to the table top W/a small red bead glued to the stick? Funny, what pops into the old mind(mine).

35tac

Wayne B
I am attaching a couple of pictures that show the installation of cylindrical magnets on our Central Midland layout. We used code 83 track. Our layout is cookie cutter so we are on plywood and we decided to use Woodland Scenics foam roadbed, N in the yard and HO on everything else. We havent painted the track or done ballast yet but thats next. First picture is the installed magnets, .030 below and 1/8" away from the railhead. The second shows the jig on the track for drilling, the installation tool and lined up for drilling. The nicks on the jig show distance of center between ties. The third is the install tool pushing the magnet to the correct depth.. This system sure looks better than the Kadee slab magnets. The magnets come from K&J Magnetics, which has all kinds of sizes. Hope this helps others.
Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Wayne,
I'll have to make one of those jigs. The rest of the magnets I ordered last week will be in today & I'm going to add another set next to the one's I already have placed. The 4 magnets work a lot better than just 2. The cones look good too. I thought about using orange & red push pins to mark the magnets since they look almost like cones & are a lot cheaper. Guess I could round them off a little to look like a cone.

abutt

Superintendent, CNE RR,
I'm so impressed, I just ordered the magnets. Some dimensions on that little drilling jig would be helpful. I ordered the D24-N50 mags, and will be using four per location.
Allan

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I didn't use a drilling jig for my other 150 magnets. Just drill about an eighth of an inch from the inside of the rail & leave the magnets sticking up about a sixteenth above the ties & that should work. Make sure the glad hands on the rolling stock & engines are adjusted at the right heighth or the magnets won't work.

35tac

Wayne B
I didn't use a drilling jig for my other 150 magnets. Just drill about an eighth of an inch from the inside of the rail & leave the magnets sticking up about a sixteenth above the ties & that should work. Make sure the glad hands on the rolling stock & engines are adjusted at the right heighth or the magnets won't work.

What I really like about using the jig is that the position of the magnets will be consistant and neat. One less thing to adjust. I agree that you can just drill the holes but the jig makes them pretty straight and consistant. You don't need the jig but I had fun making it.
Wayne

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Wayne, I agree w/you 100% about the Jig. I'll probably make 1 tomorrow since my Magnets came in today.

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Larry, how about utility poles to mark the magnet locations? Assume the yard is lighted and needs some electical poles for distribution. I imagine there are a few places they may be a little close together but I'll bet no one would notice.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.