Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncoupling Magnets

Default Uncoupling Magnets

Found a GREAT idea in Railroad Model Craftsman magazine about using strong magnets for uncoupling. Nov. issue, P.83 thru P.87. It's called"Dual Magnet Uncoupling". The first time I bought 50 magnets from the co. that they list in the mag. I made 25 uncoupling spots in my yards. They worked so well that I bought 100 more. I have enough now to finish up the rest of the spots.
    A cpl. guys that came over decided they needed to do their tracks the same way. I was using between the rails Atlas magnets, but they don't work everytime. And I use the under the track magnets, but these little barrel magnets work 100% better.
    If I can get the Macro lens close enough to see them I'll take some pics Mon. or Tues. Otherwise, if you can get a copy of the magazine it shows everything & the magnet co. to buy from.
    K&J Magnetics, inc. at; kjmagnetics.com is the place.
    If you need the part# for the 1's for HO scale I'll post them later. You can use them on most scales.

Larry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTkyR5kFJwI

(This is the only Video left of my Train layout before I took it apart in 2012)

Sounds like a nice alternative to those Kadee magnets. I'll have to check the company out. I can get by with a few less than you need though.
    Regards, Jim

Looking forward to that information Larry. I'm quite interested in your setup as I have a box of small cylindrical type magnets. My set up didn't work that good so I reverted to uncoupling by hand, that's why they're in a box. With building a new layout it'll be easier to incorporate a new system.

Cheers
    Willis
    REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY.
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

:
    My CB&CNS Rwy. HO Layout

OK, here's what I got D24-N50---1/8" x 1/4". That's 1/8th diameter by 1/4" long.
    50 were $11.50 & 100 were $15.00 plus $9.72 freight. I ordered over the internet w/my Credit Card. It took them 4 days to get to my house after they shipped them from Pa.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by CBCNSfan View Post
    Looking forward to that information Larry. I'm quite interested in your setup as I have a box of small cylindrical type magnets. My set up didn't work that good so I reverted to uncoupling by hand, that's why they're in a box. With building a new layout it'll be easier to incorporate a new system.

Cheers
    Willis
    Willis, I had tried a few that I got from the Hardware store, but they were to big. In the magazine they tell you to get them from any hdw. store or WM or bldg. supply. Didn't happen after I spent all day running around trying to find the right size. So, I buckled down & ordered them.

Larry

Default Business card

Here's a copy of their business card.
    Last edited by Larry; 07-15-2009 at 05:28 AM.

Willis, I had tried a few that I got from the Hardware store, but they were to big. In the magazine they tell you to get them from any hdw. store or WM or bldg. supply. Didn't happen after I spent all day running around trying to find the right size. So, I buckled down & ordered them.
    Larry in size, that seems to be what I have, and the fact they are also neodymium magnets. It's been quite awhile ago and some people were experimenting with them. They had me convinced so I ordered a batch of them. However it didn't work out for me at the time (hit or miss situations). I'll measure them tonight if I can find them for comparison.

Cheers
    Willis
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

:
    My CB&CNS Rwy. HO Layout

Willis,
    I did exactly what they said in the magazine & they worked great. There's other things that you have to do to make them work, like having at a certain depth from the top of the rail. Glue them in the hole you drill between the rails. These things try to attach to each other about 2" away laying on a flat bench. Trying to keep them seperated while you're putting them in the holes is fun-fun-fun. LOL
    Anyway, if you can't find the magazine, email me & I'll send you the pertitent info out of the copy I have.

Larry

Yep I checked the ones I have, they are 1/8" dia. by 3/8" long.
    There's other things that you have to do to make them work, like having at a certain depth from the top of the rail
    That's probably why mine were hit and miss, they were maybe level with the ties.
    Cheers
    Willis

uh! they came from a place called "Force Field" suppliers for some kind of fantasy gaming I think. One of the gamers was into model rail also.
    Last edited by CBCNSfan; 11-21-2008 at 08:09 PM.
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

:
    My CB&CNS Rwy. HO Layout

Glue them in the hole you drill between the rails.
    LOL the instructions I had were to drill an interference fit through hold and adjust the magnet by pushing it either up or down until it attracted the coupler. 2 pair for each uncouple place. Of course there were no dimensions given

Cheers
    Willis
    GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

:
    My CB&CNS Rwy. HO Layout