Your Layout After Dark

What scale is that? It looks too detailed for HO.

It is HO. The basic building is the old resin kit of a city block that Walthers now offers in plastic.. I built it long ago and it waited in a closet for the layout to be built.

This is an Albers Mill, something like the one that was in Portland, OR. It has been "transplanted" to 1956 Oakland, CA. I liked the looks of it a lot so I built a resemblance of it.

Attachments

• NIGHT-FLAP-12S.jpg
    NIGHT-FLAP-12S.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 179
I'll second that WOW! Charles. What scale is that? It looks too detailed for HO.
Greg - Good advice, I don't use the WS system but I think I can still use your idea.
I'm using the cheap Chinese lights and they need a resistor that needs to go under the street and rigging that up is a pain.

Gary, It's HO scale.

I used the Walthers street lights. They look great unlighted. But they were so dumb to use incandescent bulbs instead of cool-white LEDs. Also the plug-socket design is prone to being unreliable here on my layout and intermittent. I have replaced several. I thought it would be nice to unplug them during cleaning sessions but they have proved to be unfit for that duty.

These Walthers bulbs have a reddish color temperature and look stupid as H. And if you reduce the voltage a little to extend their life, the color shift is even more red. LEDs can be run a nearly any current from max. down to a fraction and the color does not shift.

The WS lamps are LED (Yay!) but the fine wire they use is ridiculous. It is like dealing with a pair of human hairs - fragile and difficult to see under the dark layout where their has to wiring compete with hundreds of other wires that are far more sturdy.

Back