Yard operations?

kylewoody

Hey guys,

I have been looking at Mobile Al's yard, which is interesting. They have their own Terminal Alabama State Docks railroad running little MP15 switchers, along with mainlines of CSX, Norfolk Southern, and Burlington Northern (now Alabama Gulf shortline).

There are lots of docks with import export operations. I was just wondering if anyone knew of how that partiuclar place operated, or if there was a good website to help me out on understanding yard and switching operations like they have.

As well, I would love to implement a caboose in there, and was wondering if a lot of places still used them maybe as break areas, or as shoving platforms/lookout station working in the yard and very close business deliveries. I'd assume that's what this one is doing:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=920903

Thanks!
Kyle

Kyle, Cjcrescent was very familiar with Mobile's past operation, but I'm not sure about now. Send him a PM and see what you can get out of him. Also, look up Alabama State Docks on the web and learn about the huge coal exporting facility.

Best place to start is the Alabama State Docks website at http://www.asdd.com/. There's nothing particularly unusual about how a port switching operation works compared to switching any other kind of yard. The only real difference is that the yard is located right next to the customer and the yard connects to several railroad mainlines since the ASD Terminal Railway only does spotting cars at the wharf warehouses and then makes up trains for the various railroads that will take the goods somewhere. There is a big coal dock with unloaders and dumpers for hopper cars that would both interesting and challenging to model.

As far as cabooses, there are still a few around. I don't think any are being used for break areas but the one in the picture is properly called a transfer caboose, although shoving platform has become increasingly common to get around some union staffing rules. I have no idea how many may or may not be in use in Mobile but a few wouldn't be out of place. Since it's your railroad, add whatever you like.

Back