WTB, Steam Engine, O Scale, 2-Rail

beiland

I recently aquired quite a number of nice O scale 2-rail freight cars. Now I need an engine to pull them, and considering the era of the freight cars I need steam (besides they are so much more 'active').

A PRR one might be my preference.

But seeing as how I've only been in HO thus far, I need some hints at where I might find the best deal on a 2-rail O-scale locomotive, either new or used.

Brian
railandsail@gmail.com

Brain, atlas has some nice steam loco's are you looking for 2 or 3 rail, the have both, but the 2 rail are not cheap 5 to 6 hundred dollars, I have a pennsy AHM kit less the motorizing kit that gos with it, thats the catch, to find a motorizing kit they are as rare as hens teeth

Brain, atlas has some nice steam loco's are you looking for 2 or 3 rail, the have both, but the 2 rail are not cheap 5 to 6 hundred dollars, I have a pennsy AHM kit less the motorizing kit that gos with it, thats the catch, to find a motorizing kit they are as rare as hens teeth
Looking for 2 rail.

Per that kit with no power, does that mean it has no geari box to the wheels, or is it just a question on a motor??

Have you got a site reference that I would find such info, photos, etc??
...or perhaps you could send me a photo of the kit and the instructions that go with it??

If you have such please send to railandsail@gmail.com

Too bad it's 2-rail. Here's a fine example of a good looking 3-rail loco(please sit down before clicking the link and put your coffee cup down):
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta&f=f#GoTo240

I've got a 2-rail, two truck Shay, a shelf queen. $650. Nice piece, but $650 would have purchased (4)O-scale diesels and a cold Coors Light. Maybe two. Just starting to put together a 2-rail O layout after all of these years.

Bob

I found one so far...this beauty from Ebay

Samhongsa, for years Korea's best known brass builder, built this very nice, and rugged, model of Pennsy's L1 Mikado. This Williams model appears to be in very good condition and ran smoothly and quietly on my test track. While there is no sound, lights or other electronics, someone did a very convincing weathering job and added a realistic coal load, cab curtains and figures. In addition, notice the modernized front end with etched brass number plate and glazed doghouse windows. One can almost feel the heat radiating from the firebox! And by the way, the Pennsy, with its wacky steam locomotive numbering system, did have an L1 numbered "2".

Like Brian, I'm also looking for sources for O-Scale 2-Rail Steam locos, in Western road names, like UP, SP, SF, and GN.

All I have is this GP35 Diesel Locomotive.

I don't mind paying a premium price for a Steamer with DCC and Sound.

Brakeman Hal
013.JPG

Last edited:
Five or six hundred bucks for an O-scale 2-Rail steam loco is quite affordable, but I need one with DCC, Sound and a Western road name. I see plenty of choices, but they're all Lionel, and I don't want 3-rail.

Brakeman Hal

I sold that beauty just about a month ago that I had found on ebay a number of years ago.
I just finally came to the conclusion that I was never going to use it. Too bad the photos are missing.

...just found some
PRR Mikado by Williams1.jpg
PRR Mikado by Williams1.jpg

PRR Mikado by Williams2.jpg

PRR Mikado by Williams3.jpg

PRR Mikado by Williams4.jpg

PRR Mikado by Williams8.jpg
PRR Mikado by Williams2.jpg
PRR Mikado by Williams3.jpg
PRR Mikado by Williams4.jpg
PRR Mikado by Williams8.jpg

Last edited:
It sure looks good, except I don't like Weathering, and it isn't a Western road, like SF, UP, SP, or GN.

But I sure appreciate your remembering that I'm looking for an 0-scale 2-rail steamer!

Brakeman Hal

AHM kits?

Can someone offer any coments on AHM O-scale loco kits?
As already noted most of the kits are motorless. So watch out for that. I have several and really like how they look, BUT unfortunately I've not built any of them. I even have all the "parts" to convert two of the 0-8-0 switchers into a USRA 2-8-8-2. One of the things on my to-do list ( item 746 of 3829) is to take an inventory of the motorizing kit and map it to itmes readily available in today's market. It got lower on the list when I razed the O-Scale layout in 2003, so, I am no help.

Back