Work in progress Monogram Trans-Am

RedRyder77

My favorite car ever due to seeing Smokey and the Bandit and a car I had 3 times including a 1981 being my 1st. When it comes to collecting, trains are my primary focus but I have a soft spot for models, slot cars, hot wheels etc. So I got the itch to build a car and see where my skills were at. This "Warbird" was a car I did in about the 7th grade, got it with my dad at Bradless..so late 80's at some point. I searched ebay and found the kit. The seller said it was sealed, mint in box. Sealed yes. Mint..that's a good one! This kit has been an uphill battle. The box came and looked like it had been under water for a year, parts are broken, body and chassis warped..still, I'm trying.

My goal is to one day get my 1981 T/A again and I got lucky enough to find a co-worker that is selling a Pontiac 400 to me dirt cheap! So with that I was excited and wanted to match the 400's color the best I could. Testors stainless steel took care of the trans and their sky blue was as close to Pontiac blue as I could get stock.

This kit was a 3 in 1. So you could build it stock, street or drag. I chose to do the drag version, just like I did as a kid. I'm hoping I can hone my painting skills on model cars and then get into weathering up some old O gauge box cars I have when I'm ready.

You can see the wheels are protruding out of the tires a bit and I tried every which way to get a correct fit but it's not gonna happen so now I'll shave the insides down with a dremmel or some sanding...trust me, the body is so warped which caused glue to run onto the windshield, the rest of the car isn't pretty but it's getting there.

I'll post more as it comes. Thanks for checking it out.

photo31_zpsb2d8c807.png

The headers are way too small for a block that's running a manifold and carbs like that but I couldn't find larger ones in 1:24 scale.

photo22_zpsb7860a11.jpg

See those wheels sticking out?

b57e5036-bea9-4135-a04f-1bf2546b5e9d_zps3ad17a02.jpg

Only on ebay does a box like this constitute "mint" :p

Nice work so far. If you're looking for Trans Ams in 1/87 scale, Busch make a 74 Firebird, Reel Ridz made (discontinued now) a Trans Am from the Smokey & The Bandit movies with the same front end as the one shown on the box you pictured, and Neo makes a 79-80 style Trans Am (same body but a longer snout at the front).

LOL very nice, I keep my imports on 2 wheels and uhhh..I don't think the guys who drive ^^that, have any idea what a Trans-Am is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work so far. If you're looking for Trans Ams in 1/87 scale, Busch make a 74 Firebird, Reel Ridz made (discontinued now) a Trans Am from the Smokey & The Bandit movies with the same front end as the one shown on the box you pictured, and Neo makes a 79-80 style Trans Am (same body but a longer snout at the front).

Thanks for the info Jim. I'm surprised there hasn't been more Bandit cars out there. A lot of model guys end up customizing the T/A kits to make it a more true 77. Seems kind of odd being that you can go into Michael's and pick up a General Lee AND Roscoe's police car--both are kits that don't get the best reviews. I think if Round2 got on it, all the kits would sell well. Bandit's car, Snowman's KW 900 would be awesome to build and display and if you do that then you have to include Justice's car..what was it a LeMans?

I also just got a Tom Daniel Vandal and have the Munsters cars on the way..Auto World has a big sale going on right now, I got the 2 pack of 1/24 scale cars for 15.99. They're pretty cool with their customer service as well. I recently ordered a 74 Ford Galaxy Police Interceptor (which I BUTCHERED by the way) but with that they sent me a bunch of vintage NHRA posters and free AW HO slot car (rolling chassis) of a CJ-5 in it's jewel case. If they sold O gauge trains I'd be broke!

Well, I'm 37 so I remember more of when they were obtainable for a nice price! I bought my 1st car in 1994. It was a blue 1981 Trans Am that was in mint condition. Ton of aftermarket parts, had a 305 that for..a 305 was not too shabby. Competition Cams, Holley carb on a Edlebrock high rise manifold, 4 speed manual with a Moroso shifter, T-Tops, 70k on a rebuilt engine and I paid cash for it...$3,200.00!!

When I was in high school all my friends either had, or were trying to find a Camaro or Mustang. I was a Trans Am nut and that fell into my lap. My buddy paid about 5k for a 79 Z28 and it was a solid, nice looking car that was probably more for the drag strip than commutes....So for less than 10 grand that's 2 cars that were absolute gems plus all the aftermarket goodies.

I can't even find a straight body for that much now!!...Only regret I have is selling that car. Any time I make a decision that I think might have some serious repercussions, I think of that car. Lesson learned.

My first car was a 77 camaro 305. One guy in high school had a gold 77 TA ....we'd always give each other the evil eye LOL!

LOL that sounds like my senior year!! I had the T/A and the other kid had the Camaro..we had a bit of a falling out and he was actually mad that the guy sold me the T/A. I'm working on buying a Pontiac 400 from a co-worker..then the hunt for a 80-82 T/A begins. I miss that car, the kid I had falling out with not so much lol.

Here are a few other things I'm working on. The Peterbilt is done, I thought it would be cool to make it a truck version of the General Lee but the stickers I got on ebay seem a little small for the cab of that truck. I like this kit a lot and have a soft spot for trucks (it's what I do) so I may buy it again, it's readily available at most shops.

photo12_zps23119714.jpg

This a kit from Tom Daniel. I LOVE his cars, he actually designed the Munster's Koach too--NOT George Barris. I did an interview with Tom the other day and if any car/model guys want to read it, just let me know I can post it here. He was super cool to chat with and gave some awesome answers. This is Vandal, used a deep Tamiya red on it, pic makes it look orange..came with a mini bike that I have yet to do.

photo23_zpsf0538bc6.png

photo32_zps94e3dcbb.jpg

Just started on Dragula. It was from the "Graveyard Duo" set from AMT, it's called the "Overtaker" in this set and the colors are flip flop. It should've been molded in gold. I'm taking the easy way out and doing gold trim on the silver body. I just did the engine tonight--once I'm done with the cars in this kit, I'll do them in the correct paint with the individual kits. Pretty simple but it's a fun build so far.

photo41_zps0ee41301.jpg

Do it! It's a lot of fun, very relaxing after work and I just got back into it myself. I'm finding that doing the cars and stuff is actually helping me apply those skills I'm picking up to my trains. I plan on doing some weathering soon and maybe some custom paint but I figured I'd try it on a 20.00 model kit before I mess with my trains..so far so good!

Back