Wiring a turntable for DCC

julienjj

Noodle is good
Im im likely to add a turntable to my layout. but im wondering HOW to wire it so the light and sound of my loco stay on even when spinning. I googled around but no answer to satisfy me.

I just ran the leads of an auto-reverse switch to the track leads on the turntable, with the other leads to primary track power.

Using Digitrax's AR1 Wiring Diagram (http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/ar1.pdf):

fm0yhf.jpg

(my paint skills aren't the best...)

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the track on the table is powered the lights and sounds will stay on (and you have to have the track powered or you'll never get the loco on and off.)

I used a AR-1 also on my turntable. There will always be a deadspot tho or at least on the latest Walthers there is.

Walther also just announced that they released them with DCC decoders on them which is nice. I want to see if I can some how wire in a decoder to my existing one....

anyone has a good suggestion for a turntable model ? im into modern diesel, so the longest unit i run are AC4400

This one is about 6 time what im willing to pay :)

I had originally thought to save some money and set up my own, but then I caught a sale.

For a lot less than MSRP, I installed the N-Scale version of this in about 25 minutes, and had it programmed and operational in another 15.

I consider it worth every penny in time and effort saved, and in ease of setup and use.

just my 0.02... which I had leftover...

-John

Back