Wireless Drawbar Problem

Brakeman Hal

Hello, Roundhouse Buddies,

My MTH O-Scale 2-Rail 4-6-2 Pacific Steam Loco has developed an intermittent connection where the wireless drawbar connects to its mating plug on the underside of the Tender.

At first I could restore operation by forcing the 6-pin plug into the receptacle but now there is no connection anymore.

The loco is still under warranty until October 2019, and I have the original box and receipt, so it looks like I'll have to ship it back to MTH in Columbia, Maryland.

I don't like that plug-in "Wireless" drawbar...I'd rather have the traditional wire harness with the plug between engine and tender.

Brakeman Hal

No, Willie..."Wireless" means that instead of using wires, they're using a printed circuit board to carry the power and signals between tender and engine. The circuit board IS the drawbar.

Hal

BUT WAIT!

Since I'm not getting any sounds from the Audio system in the Tender, perhaps there's no voltage getting from the TRACK up into the Tender.

The caboose lights are on, so there's voltage all around my 127 feet of Track!

The voltage goes from the Track to the Tender, then from the Tender through the Wireless Drawbar to the Engine.....yeah!

So I'll have to troubleshoot the problem from a new direction!

Yowzah,

Brakeman Hal

Press f3 on your control. (button #3) I think that's the one to start everything up. Should be in the instructions if not.

If nothing else works, remove everything else from the layout, dial up engine 55, then enter a value of 55 to cv55, that will reset it. If you don't want to get that adventurous, you can set cv 19 to 0, and try again.

Press f3 on your control. (button #3) I think that's the one to start everything up. Should be in the instructions if not.

Toot...I know which button to press to start things up. Its called the "start up" button. I've pressed it dozens of times to start and run my single train. Here's a picture of my controller:
Hal
004.JPG

Last edited:
If nothing else works, remove everything else from the layout, dial up engine 55, then enter a value of 55 to cv55, that will reset it. If you don't want to get that adventurous, you can set cv 19 to 0, and try again.

Terry, there is no such thing as "cv" settings on my controller. I have just one engine, and it's identified as engine #1. When I remove it from my layout, there's nothing left on the layout except a short consist with a caboose that lights up brightly with 16 volts applied to the track.

There's an open circuit between the track and the tender where the power comes in, and that's the problem!

Hal

Hey, I shipped off my $800 MTH 4-6-2 Pacific today at a cost of $76.14 to Columbia, Maryland.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
I received your coupler package yesterday, Sherrel!

It was nicely and carefully packed, thank you!

The check will be going out tomorrow.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
I received your coupler package yesterday, Sherrel!

It was nicely and carefully packed, thank you!

The check will be going out tomorrow.
Brakeman Hal

Glad you received it. OK!
I am surprised, I did not think it would get to you before Monday?

I do hope that the "little curvey trip pin" is OK - hard to know where to set it with out the engine/car?

Sherrel...that "curvey little trip pin" represents the Air Hose that provides air brakes from car-to-car throughout the train.

It's controlled from the locomotive's "Train Brake", and the other brake lever is the "Independent Brake", which is for the engine only.

Hal the Brakeman

Back