Wire for feeders

Paul:

I was able to get my hands on telephone wire when I worked in the mall business and when a store was remodeled I had a opportunity to get hundreds of feet of telephone cable at no cost. I ran out of my wire and purchased, cheap, telephone cabling and used the wire inside the shielding. Works great and with 50 feet of wire having six conductors, I be set for a long time.

Thanks.

Greg

DCC operates at a maximum of 17 kHz (per the NMRA spec). At that frequency the the skin effect depth is 0.5000272mm. Since the diameter of an 18 gauge solid wire is 1.0237mm, the loss of conductive area would be 0.001757 mm2 or about 0.2%. Don't worry about skin effect in model railroad applications.

Now, if you're running transmission lines for your microwave transmitter, it will be a factor.

DCC operates at a maximum of 17 kHz (per the NMRA spec). At that frequency the the skin effect depth is 0.5000272mm. Since the diameter of an 18 gauge solid wire is 1.0237mm, the loss of conductive area would be 0.001757 mm2 or about 0.2%. Don't worry about skin effect in model railroad applications.

Now, if you're running transmission lines for your microwave transmitter, it will be a factor.

That's good information. I was basing my earlier comments on VFD outputs, which is in that frequency range, and require stranded wire, of course, there is a lot less voltage/current in DCC. Just goes to show what happens, when I type without thinking first :).

Totally irrelevant to this thread!!! Ah the VFD. A special creature in its own right. And necessary to those of us without 3 phase. What do you use yours for? Lathe or mill?

Totally irrelevant to this thread!!! Ah the VFD. A special creature in its own right. And necessary to those of us without 3 phase. What do you use yours for? Lathe or mill?

I install, setup, service, repair and rebuild them. I do have one on my furnace, humidifier, (that I built), and the drill press.

Back