Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

The third night in a row featuring the Tim McCoy Wild West Show, up next is #933-1394, the Light Plant Wagon. Another white resin casting with a McCoy decal set.
IMG_5923.JPGIMG_5924.JPGIMG_5925.JPG

Ive been collecting some McCoy wagons over the past year to fill up the 4 flats I have. I hope mine turn out as good as yours. Im trying to complete one set of cars as a small show consist. Do you have any pictures of your McCoy train Joe? Did you build any of the passenger cars? Im also going to try and do the same with the Cole Bros set.

I apologize Eric, when I was photographing these wagons I intended to photograph the McCoy flats with the wagons on them. Between running out of time and the part of the layout I wanted to use for the photos not being sufficiently scenicked, it didn't happen. I'd have to get back into the McCoy storage tote, but I think I have 10 passenger, cars, 8 stock cars, and 12 flat cars.

Tonight, a new player comes to the series once again, this time it's Jordan Miniatures with #360-232, the Mack Circus Truck. Modeled after the two in the Circus World Museum collection. Plastic glue together kit, and a special decal set.

IMG_5926.JPGIMG_5927.JPGIMG_5928.JPGIMG_5929.JPG
I have the red RBBB version too, I don't know why I missed photographing it.

Last edited:
I apologize Eric, when I was photographing these wagons I intended to photograph the McCoy flats with the wagons on them. Between running out of time and the part of the layout I wanted to use for the photos not being sufficiently scenicked, it didn't happen. I'd have to get back into the McCoy storage tote, but I think I have 10 passenger, cars, 8 stock cars, and 12 flat cars.
Wow, you did the full train. Well, if you get back to that tote in the future, would be great to see!

I did Eric, I thought I had it modeled appropriately, but when I was reading an article I noticed my wagons didn't match the writer's wagon list, more research is needed!

I'll get that done for you.

I did Eric, I thought I had it modeled appropriately, but when I was reading an article I noticed my wagons didn't match the writer's wagon list, more research is needed!

I'll get that done for you.
On the old CMB website there was an issue of their magazine available that had an article with tons of pictures of someone’s McCoy train. IIRC there were a number of custom built equipment wagons. It’s a really neat looking set. Unfortunately when they changed the website, they took down that issue. They do still preview each issue online. One of these days I’ll finally have to join. Happy weekend!

The next Jordan kit the Walthers released was #360-233, the 1921 Model T Ford Calliope Truck. ( Did you pronounce Calliope the Circus way? )
Kind of a gray plastic on sprues kit with a specific decal set.

IMG_5930.JPGIMG_5931.JPGIMG_5932.JPG

On the old CMB website there was an issue of their magazine available that had an article with tons of pictures of someone’s McCoy train. IIRC there were a number of custom built equipment wagons. It’s a really neat looking set. Unfortunately when they changed the website, they took down that issue. They do still preview each issue online. One of these days I’ll finally have to join. Happy weekend!
If you're talking about the May/June 2011 issue pages 20-22, by Edward Russell, that's the article I was reading. If you look in the lower right corner of the first picture, looks like he has the Cole Brothers there too.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the May/June 2011 issue pages 20-22, by Edward Russell, that's the article I was reading. If you look in the lower right corner of the first picture, looks like he has the Cole Brothers there too.
That’s the one! That’s the only complete Cole set I’ve seen. Wish they had more photos of that one as well.

The next release was also from Jordan, #360-235, the 1912 Horsedrawn Popcorn Wagon. I have never been able to finish building this kit, I got about half way through and realized I hadn't painted any of it first. You even half to paint the horse! I end up with more parts stuck to my fingers than to other parts...lol

IMG_5936.JPGIMG_5937.JPG

Once again a new player joins the parade ( pun intended ) of wagons that were released by Walthers for their circus series.
Vintage Vehicles first release was #764-6, the Calliope Circus Wagon.

IMG_5938.JPGIMG_5940.JPGIMG_5941.JPG

How about a little mystery for tonight? Are you ready for the next wagon? Long time readers of Johnny's thread may remember me asking about Vintage Vehicles #764-8, the Circus Cage Wagon some years ago. I've never seen one, and can't find anything via Google search.

I got the number from Walthers, when I first started researching what was available when I started collecting the series in 1992. They sent me a fax of all the release and PLANNED releases.

Was this wagon ever released? A cage wagon didn't seem to fit with what vintage vehicles normally produced.

Anybody know of this wagon?

Hmmm, might be like the illusive Bachmann G-scale Emmett Kelley G-gauge Leopard & Rhino cage car. I saw one which must have been the prototype, then nothing. With Research through the years I discovered they were planned, along with some others, and then Emmett Kelley (estate?) pulled the rights to use the name, so they were never produce. Those of us with outstanding orders were never told of this.

Speaking of Preiser, they returned to the parade with another series of wagons with special packaging for the Great Circus Train Accessories. First was the AG Barnes Baggage Wagon, #22100.

IMG_5990.JPG

Back