Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

Nice work and an interesting layout. I remember watching the Circus Train roll down the countryside and then first hand watching the Circus Parade itself in downtown Milwaukee in the 1960's.

Memories.

Greg

What's everybody's favorite wagon from the GCT? Here's mine.
IMG_1626.JPG

While I don't do FB, I do know the wife's iPod was available and I had a look, WOW!

As usual your skills are a step above, well done!

I would love to see some CWM winterquarters pix if that was finished.
The winter quarters was finished. It is 37 foot long by 2 feet and 7 sections. I took it out and showed it for about 2 years then sold it to a fellow CMB member who now displays it with his models. It has all the tents, buildings and shops that I wanted to use. Although inspired by CWM it is not a replica but rather my interpretation of a railroad circus winter quarters. I'll try and find some pictures. Johnny

The winter quarters was finished. It is 37 foot long by 2 feet and 7 sections. I took it out and showed it for about 2 years then sold it to a fellow CMB member who now displays it with his models. It has all the tents, buildings and shops that I wanted to use. Although inspired by CWM it is not a replica but rather my interpretation of a railroad circus winter quarters. I'll try and find some pictures. Johnny

Looking forward to that!

And of course my 2nd fave is the Bell Wagon.
Having never been to a circus. What is the purpose of a bell wagon? Is it a display of famous or interesting bells, does it play melodies like the calliope only in church tower terms, or is it just to make a lot of noise?

Having never been to a circus. What is the purpose of a bell wagon? Is it a display of famous or interesting bells, does it play melodies like the calliope only in church tower terms, or is it just to make a lot of noise?
The Bells were all tuned and could be played by pulling levers. Many circus songs were rung on these Bells and the wagon survives in Ellington Florida.

The Bells were all tuned and could be played by pulling levers. Many circus songs were rung on these Bells and the wagon survives in Ellington Florida.
So I assume the rear seat is then an operators position for the person who "plays" the bells. I was puzzled by it on first viewing.

Do you guys remember years ago when Tom Johnson and his pals imagined that their different railroads would "interchange" cars?
When Johnny was building his circus winterquarters, I started a layout where I imagined that when the train left the winterquarters all refurbished it would roll through this town. It's kinda based on a pic I saw in a book with the Great Circus Train passing by.
IMG_5717.JPG

Do you guys remember years ago when Tom Johnson and his pals imagined that their different railroads would "interchange" cars?
When Johnny was building his circus winterquarters, I started a layout where I imagined that when the train left the winterquarters all refurbished it would roll through this town. It's kinda based on a pic I saw in a book with the Great Circus Train passing by.
View attachment 33168
Very cool!!

I don't remember any triple tracks in the pix I saw but since it's 8 feet long it takes three tracks to get the train represented in three cuts. Tracks 2 and 3 are made to modular standards in case I ever wanna take it to a show.

The road coming into town crossing the main is spackle. I think I'm going to change the foam Main street to spackle, smooth-it, or Walthers concrete road system.

Back