windows

tomytuna

Hello all! I would like some idea's on what i should put on back of clear plastic windows on a building that has no interior so as to not look so barren. Saw somewhere where where someone put "scotch" tape on back to keep from see through. I have applied the window signs to my "city" clasics bldgs and they look good. So any info/input would be great.(these are plastic, not craftmans's) Anyone? thanks Tommy;)

Tommy - I use a number of different methods on my structures. The easiest, simplest and the one offering the least detail, is to cut out a piece of black construction paper to fit diagonally in the building. I only use this on buildings far in the background where detail cannot be seen anyway. Another method that I use is to "Google" for images for specific business storefronts and interior views, which I "Save As" and then copy them to Word where I can manipulate them to the correct size for my needs before printing them. Then just cut them out and paste to the window. Some kits (like Walther's or Smalltown) come with pre-printed sheets of window treatments consisting of blinds, shades or curtains. Whenever I get one of these kits, I copy and save them to my computer and then print out however many I need for future structures. Another simple thing is to go to your local big-box store like Lowes, Home Depot or Menards and pick up some paint sample cards; which can then be cut up and pasted in your buildings. While this doesn't give a lot of detail, it can be used for those background structures as well as the construction paper. Many times I get more realistic by adding a long curved scene that I can place figures in front of for more realism.
Hope that this gives you some ideas to get started.

Willie

I paint all of the interiors of my buildings flat black and stops the "wide open look" unless the lights are on. Other than what Willie has suggested, putting interiors into the buildings is the only other thing I can think of.

Here are a few ideas-
1. Tichy windows usually come with small pieces of tan paper that can be used for window shades. For a lived-in look, vary the height of the shades.
2. You could make curtains out of paper. Straight, pulled back, valence. Make them a little big. Paint them whatever color you want. When dry, s-fold like real curtains and then glue or tape them into place. If your luck with glue is like mine, use tape.
3. Use acetate or another clear plastic to be "glass". Then, if you want to make it look lived in, but neglected, put a small piece of masking or painters tape on the outside. Sort of a roundish/square shape will do. Then, spray it with a light and/or uneven coat of dullcote to dirty the windows. Pull the tape when it has dried, usually overnight. Masking tape is optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all! I would like some idea's on what i should put on back of clear plastic windows on a building that has no interior so as to not look so barren. Saw somewhere where where someone put "scotch" tape on back to keep from see through. I have applied the window signs to my "city" clasics bldgs and they look good. So any info/input would be great.(these are plastic, not craftmans's) Anyone? thanks Tommy;)

One thing to try would be just printing interiors for some of the buildings. The fact that they wouldn't be 3d probably isn't an issue, but should be a possibility.

I'm probably going to look into doing something similar when I start building my buildings. Probably not as a permanent solution, but probably good enough for temporary.

IIRC, some of the printable paper models include a secondary wall that's about 3' (in scaled depth obviously) inside of the front window providing the illusion of an interior. For smaller scales in particular, you're unlikely to notice the difference. Especially if you opt to put a table or something else in the room.

Some folks just paint the shades on the inside faces of the windows in various positions and colors.

Greg

Back