Wilson's HO Turntable.

John Honeck Sr

I'm trying to install a old Wilson's turntable. I have no instructions. There is a switch included, hocked up to the turntable moter and track, I quess. The questions I have, how to a power up this thing? I found out that the switch controls the rotaion, of the turntable, and the direction, of the train on the track.

There is an instruction sheet currently up for auction on eBay. At least I think it's for your turntable.

- Jeff

If you absolutely can't find the instructions, an Atlas Twin can be used to operate the turntable, and the track on it. Simply use a regular DC power pack, and the throttle will control turntable speed and locomotive speed. Obviously, doing it per instructions is better, but this is do-able.

I can't see one switch being able to control everything. The power pack's reversing switch will make the motor turn one way or the other if you use a DC power pack. You can dial up voltage just enough that the mechanism turns the bridge at a scale prototypical speed, thus keeping the drive noise down. If the device doesn't have a split ring design, then the switch should only control the polarity of the rails, and subsequently the direction of the loco.

So, there should be some wires going to rails under the deck of the turntable or directly up to the rails, and the switch should be connected to those. Two more wires should come off the drive mechanism and they should hook up to a power pack.

Power pack reversing switch controls bridge direction and speed via dialed up voltage.

Rail power for the loco should be controlled via the switch.

If it's more complicated than that, I'm outta my depth...and apologize.

Thank you all. I think I figured it out. There are two wires from the switch to the motor and two wires to the track. I must wire ac power to the motor pair and dc or dcc power to the track pair

Are you sure that it's AC to the motor? Most AC motors take some special circuitry to make them reverse. What I would do first is wire DC to the motor. A DC current will not harm an AC motor, but AC can damage a DC motor quickly.

I agree with Carey, it's likely to be DC and trying that first would be the safe approach.

Back