Will this loco stay on my 40" radius curve?

Brakeman Hal

Hello,

I'm looking at an O-scale 2 rail 4-6-2 Pacific loco that looks good except the spec sheet says it will run on 42" curves.

Does this mean it will derail on the 40" radius segment of my layout? My other curves are 45" radius.

Another problem with this loco is it's a New Jersey Central road name, and I want a Western road name, like SF, UP, SP, or GN.

I'll use this engine to pull a short freight around my 127-foot layout.

What would you do?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal, age 82
013.JPG

012.JPG

Last edited:
Sirfoldalot,

This is the loco I'm currently considering:

MTH Premier 20-3462-2 CNJ P-47 Pacific. It has DCC and Sound.

I guess I'll just have to use an Eastern loco to pull my Western freight train!

Thanks for looking for me, but I don't want a brass engine.

Brakeman Hal
016.JPG
357.jpg
047.jpg
241.JPG
480.jpg

015.JPG

Last edited:
Don't know anything about O-scale equipment, but a 40" radius curve would correspond to a 20" curve in HO. A 42" curve would correspond to a 21" radius in HO. Not much difference, I'd say, but the best way to tell is to try it and see! The question is whether there is enough sideplay in the drivers. You could blind-flange the center drivers. As far as running Eastern steam locos in the West is concerned, during WWII, wartime traffic in the West resulted in some roads like the Santa Fe, D&RGW, Southern Pacific, etc., in leasing locos from Eastern roads. You could either change the decals or leave them, and apply ones from your favorite Western railroad.

I would think that a 4-6-2 would negotiate 40" O Scale curves. My N Scale Pacific will run on 11.75" curves, according to bachmann. I'm not sure what 11.75" N Scale curves equates to in O Scale but I can't see it being more than 40".

That being said, if the "book" states 42" is that the minimum radius or the recommended best radius?

Tony,

The spec sheet says that the minimum radius is 42", which means that a lesser radius would possibly result in derailment.

Hal

Not always the case! Most models that say Minimum Radius of 18 inches - will in most cases - go smaller.
For example: If a six axel diesel will tae an 18 inch - then a four axel will go smaller. My D&SL O-scale 2-6-6-0 ran fine on the club's 42 inch curves!

I have to agree with Sherrel. All of my Kato engines have a minimum recommended radius of 9.75" or 11.25" but they all run okay (not perfectly) on my wife's 8.5" radius layout. Best thing to do is give it a try and see what happens.

A nice photo of the engine would be preferred to looking at a BIG ROCK!

Glad that it is working for you!

Sirfoldalot...the reason for the photo of the big rock is to show that section of track with the 40" Radius that I was worried about!

I have 8 of those "big rocks" throughout my layout, which represents the rocky High Desert terrain outside our town, known as the Mojave Desert.

Those "rocks" are fiberglass shells that weigh about 3 pounds, and are found in the plumbing sections of building material stores where they are known as "Valve Covers".

Here's a shot of the loco:
Brakeman Hal
004.JPG

Atta-Boy ... That's what I'm talking bout!

Hmmmm ... Fair (actually pretty good) resemblance of the real McCoy; Glad it is working out for you. I was not a real Pennsy fan except for their Sharknose and Centipede Units. Just never cared for the Belpaire firebox, but like you say - there were no SF or SP models to choose from.

Interesting use of the yard valve covers -- have to remember that one. Put a few bushes on and around them and will look , ugg-ahh, not so bare?

Hey Sirfoldalot...the reason I have them surrounded with boulders and gravel is to represent the desolate, raw, bare wilderness which I love!

There are no living things, either animal or vegetable, or anything man-made other than the railroad track which runs through my layout, except for a Mountain Goat and some Saguaro cactus plants.

This is the Calico Freight Lines, Sir...no lush meadows and green rolling hills with pretty little towns with their buildings, cars, people, and farm animals.

Brakeman Hal

Back