Who ran these diesels in 1939/40?

oldstuff

I'm trying, without much success, to find out who was running EMD SW1 and EMD NW2 shifters in 1939/1940. I have the feeling that the EJ&E had NW2s 403-407, but can't find any proof online. I'm particularly interested in any lines operating into and round Chicago.

I'm trying, without much success, to find out who was running EMD SW1 and EMD NW2 shifters in 1939/1940. I'm particularly interested in any lines operating into and round Chicago.
Well it is easier to find if the railroad ran them than it is to figure out if they used them in Chicago.
From the on-line photo archive for the SW1 - http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?mid=68
Looks like:
NYC, PRR, CRIP, Wabash, CNW, CBQ, B&O, IC, MILW, EJE , NKP all owned them and had the potential to have them in Chicago.

The NW2 -
very similar but add ATSF, C&O, IHB, GTW, Erie, Monon

Last edited:
Thanks for all this info. My project began some years back and has slowly been mutating. I bought a fair amount of stuff when I was working (and had money but no time). Now I'm retired I'm gradually refining my ideas. I just sold a couple of musical instruments which has led to some railway purchases. Abandoned have now my original fictional beltline/interchange concept, sticking with actual lines, but in a fictional way. The fictional belt/interchange company has been replaced by the EJ&E, and the date range has expanded from 1937 to up to 1940, so still (for the US) pre-war, but with an increased admixture of diesels amongst the steam.

Excuse my higorance, but from my long distance research, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of diesel switchers till late in that prewar decade. The SW1 you mentioned didn't arrive till Dec '38 and the NW2 till Feb '39. Alco's S1 was April '40 and their S2 in August. Baldwin had their 660 in '36

Again thanks for all the input.

My diesel roster, (bought to comply with Chicago's new smoke regulations) on my proposed layout which falls in the date range 1937-40 is/will be as follows:

I.C.R.R. Alco 600 #9006 bought 1935 (a modified Atlas)
E.J&E.R. EMD NW2 #401 bought 1937 (a modified Athearn)
E.J.&E.R. Alco S1 #213 bought 1940 (a proto 2000)
E.J.&E.R. EMD SW1 # 224 bought 1940 (yet to be purchased, possibly a proto 2000)

There are plenty of steamers as well.

Back