Who makes the best model diesel locomotives?

Thanks, Toot! (If I may)

I'm still using that Atlas O-Scale 2-Rail GP35 (the one I just cleaned up), but I'm no longer using BLI's DC Master, as I can get all the diesel sounds from my GP35 without it! The startup and road sounds are automatic when I advance the throttle from start, and I can bring on the Horn blast and the Bell by quickly blipping the direction control on my old Analog controller!

I saw an online picture of a Santa Fe RS-1, in black with diagonal white stripes, but it was 3-rail which I can't use.

This was a straight Switcher, and it looks like that loco would be appropriate for my short consist, short line freight.

Brakeman Hal

Thanks, Toot! (If I may)

I'm still using that Atlas O-Scale 2-Rail GP35 (the one I just cleaned up), but I'm no longer using BLI's DC Master, as I can get all the diesel sounds from my GP35 without it! The startup and road sounds are automatic when I advance the throttle from start, and I can bring on the Horn blast and the Bell by quickly blipping the direction control on my old Analog controller!

I saw an online picture of a Santa Fe RS-1, in black with diagonal white stripes, but it was 3-rail which I can't use.

This was a straight Switcher, and it looks like that loco would be appropriate for my short consist, short line freight.

Brakeman Hal

WEAVER made an RS-2, or 3 in the Santa Fe zebra stripes that was 2-rail (no sound)

I agree, do not let the lack of sound limit your choices. The selection of smaller O scale 2 rail engines is slim enough already. Sound/DCC boards are not all that difficult to install and many offer services to install them in your locomotive. If you were into the steam era, I would suggest the old AHM/Rivarossi Indiana Harbor Belt heavy 0-8-0. A nice chunky switching engine, booster truck on the tender with its own side rods. Came a kit with a seperate motorizing kit or RTR back in the day. Very affordable when compared to what most other steam sells for in 2 rail.

Hey malletman:

I'll slim my selection even further by accepting only the Western roads, such as SF UP, and SP.

If I get one without sound, you say a board can be installed in the loco to provide it?

Brakeman Hal

I've had quality control issues with the Athearn Genesis DCC/Sound units that I own. I'd say 25% of them have some issue out of the box.

ScaleTrains and Intermountain would be at the top of my list in the "A" category. I would consider Broadway Ltd to be there also.
Atlas and Kato in the "B" category (they don't have the detail of ScaleTrains and Intermountain).
Genesis and Proto in the "C" category (volume and mechanical issues)

I've actually had pretty darn good luck with Bachmann (especially in steam), although many still think of the "toy" type of locomotive that they produced back when.

Just my experience.

Back