Who makes the best model diesel locomotives?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

NP2626

I also ordered my Bachmann Alco S-4 like the one in the link about 5-7 years ago. I've never understood why Bachmann doesn't offer these locos in either DC or DCC and sound, since as Greg states removing the shell is easy, just remove the coupler boxes and lift off the shell. I got to thinking why not buy one of the DCC & Sound Value S-4s and swap the body, ending up with a nice Northern Pacific Sound Value S-4! So I purchased a Milwaukee Road S-4 with DCC & Sound, swapped shells and sold the older DC model with the Milwaukee Road shell on Ebay. I didn't quite get the price of the DC version of the Northern Pacific S-4; but, it wasn't to bad. I have run the heck out of my model and it did develop some problems, returned to Bachmann for repairs and supposedly it's on its' way back to me now! The problem was the wheels became loose on the axles!

bachman BITD was horrible but starting in the mid 2000,s they really upped their game , I have a EM1 2-8-8-4 I runs awesome
scale trains is great.
they all have their good points & bad

Iron Horseman

Iron Horse, you left out IHC ! ( I've always heard that their steam run very well, but lack detail ).
Well I didn't "forget" them. The topic was diesels. I was trying to focus on current production stuff. I don't know anything about their (IHC) diesels. By the time IHC came on the scene I was way past the toy train type stuff and never even considered them. But if they were the same as the old AHM line (Of which I have many), they would be near bottom of the list.

Well if you want to start an argument about it ..I merely said you left it off your list, because you said "Ummm who am I missing ?".

Last edited:

CambriaArea51

Intermountain makes good running diesels,I have a few of the modern engines but they make F units with dcc and Loksound.
https://tonystrains.com/store/train...in?cat=107&p=1&product_list_limit=96&scale=14
As far as the current keeper goes Scale trains is the only one that comes with them factory installed.I've added ESU current keeper to the Loksound in my ES44AC pretty easy to do,they have 2 different sizes depending on room under the shell.The newer Gevo was tight and had to trim the shell just a tad with a file due to the changes they made making the engine heavier.The older ES44AC is lighter in weight and was able to easily fit the current keeper under the hood where the dynamic brake would be behind the cab.
Streamlined backshop is good prices are the same as elsewhere but shipping is cheap.
SBS4DCC.com type in ESU in the search and about 3/4 down the page is the mini and maxi power pack current keepers

Here are a few pics of it installed in the Gevo.
IMG_2521.jpg
IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2556.jpg

Last edited:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com