Which track to I use

I'm building HO Scale L&N (for me) and DT&I (my wife is from Michigan) railroads. From what I've seen online and on YouTube, the different brands of track don't work with each other. I want to avoid track problems before I buy any. Are some brands better than the other? Is there a difference in quality or selection? Of course every brand wants me to think theirs is best. Is there a resource(s) I can study to tell me about this? I'm just starting, so I appreciate your advice. :)

I would suggest using Peco track. Use flex track where ever possible as there will be fewer joints that could cause problems. Their turnouts are excellent. I used Shinohara code 70 track as my layout is all code 70. I started hand laying track but my sopike gun died during comstruction. If I were to start all over again, Peco would be my choice. Mt club layout is all Peco and we have almost no problems at all. Atlas track is less expensive but I don't think it is as good.

Whichever track type you use, stay with one manufacturer and code as much as possible.

I've acquired several different brands of older track in the auctions I've been buying from and can see some difference in the track.

Patrick brought up a good point. No matter which brand of track you choose, stick with the same brand. As he mentioned, also stay with the same code, which is the height of the rail measured in thousands of an inch. Code 100 is the most common.

Here is a link to an on line retailer that many of us use. There are also others, but most sell at a percentage off retail price. They sell most everything needed for the hobby, but I gave you the link for track. Hope this helps.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/search?search_query_adv=HO+scale+track

Patrick brought up a good point. No matter which brand of track you choose, stick with the same brand. As he mentioned, also stay with the same code, which is the height of the rail measured in thousands of an inch. Code 100 is the most common.

Here is a link to an on line retailer that many of us use. There are also others, but most sell at a percentage off retail price. They sell most everything needed for the hobby, but I gave you the link for track. Hope this helps.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/search?search_query_adv=HO+scale+track

Thanks! There's so much variation, it's a lot to learn. I guess it's one of those things where a person can spend as much as he wants to. I'm seeing why this is an "aquiring" hobby over time. :)

For ease of compatibility , stick with the same size and brand. That said, my railroad has track in three sizes from five manufacturers and it all works fine. Sometimes even though the rail is the same height, the width from different manufactures will be different making joining them more challenging but it can be made to work. Don't be afraid to change and modify things when you need to.

Back