Which is the "common" wire.

tootnkumin

Staff member
I am wiring up a Tsunami TSU-1000 decoder with LEDs. It has a blue Function Common wire and I have 2 functions to connect to it, headlight (F0 white) and mars light (F5 brown). In the instructions that came with the decoder it says about the blue wire that it is (+Raw). Now I'm presuming that that means the + wires from the LED's connect to that blue wire, and the - wires to the respective function wires. I have point(.)5watt resistors but can't find out if they would be the correct Ohms.

I did find out that I have mounted the decoder (wrapped with a heatsink) incorrectly. I used a thin piece of wood to bridge the gap in the chassis (P2k Alco PA) where the original Analogue decoder was. A recommendation I found said to mount it to a metal surface to help with the heat transference.. Now I'll have to find a piece of aluminum somewhere, must have some, somewhere.

I did find out that I have mounted the decoder (wrapped with a heatsink) incorrectly. I used a thin piece of wood to bridge the gap in the chassis (P2k Alco PA) where the original Analogue decoder was. A recommendation I found said to mount it to a metal surface to help with the heat transference.. Now I'll have to find a piece of aluminum somewhere, must have some, somewhere.

You may already be aware that the heat sink should not be able to conduct electricity and short out the decoder. Just my idle mind working.

Greg

I am wiring up a Tsunami TSU-1000 decoder with LEDs. It has a blue Function Common wire and I have 2 functions to connect to it, headlight (F0 white) and mars light (F5 brown). In the instructions that came with the decoder it says about the blue wire that it is (+Raw). Now I'm presuming that that means the + wires from the LED's connect to that blue wire, and the - wires to the respective function wires.

That would be correct. I'm going to let someone else answer about the Ohm's.

Useful calculator for LED's.

http://ledcalc.com/

I seem to remember 1,000 ohm .5 watt resistor for a LED at 12 volts. Some of the newer, higher end decoders have tabs for the LED installation.

Thanks.

Greg

Thanks Greg and Flyboy. I thought I was on the right track, but just needed confirmation. At 1000ohm, the resistors are within the recommended ballpark. I'll try and get my head around that calculator :)

Back