Which Controller?

Brakeman Hal

Hello,

I have a new O-Scale 2-Rail MTH Steam Loco with Proto 3.0 Sound and a switch on the Tender to select either DCS or DCC.

I'm currently using an old MRC DC controller, which gives me only engine startup sounds and Chuff...no whistle or bell.

I run only this loco on my 127-foot continuous loop layout with no switching, and will not be running any more locos.

I've been looking at the MTH 50-1029 DCS Commander for $250 including a 100-watt power supply.

Would this be a good choice for accessing all the sounds from my 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive?

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal

If that is the only loco you will ever run, then yes. Just don't change your mind later and buy any that are only dual DC/DCC, because a DCS specific controller will not run them. While MTH's locos might be DC/DCC/DCS compliant, because of having DCC capability added, the DCS system controller most definitely is not.

MTH's adoption of DCC as a choice in their engines was only done after much resistance from the owner, Mike Wolf, being forced to accept what the market wanted in order to sell his trains. You will have access to all the functions that his DCS system provides. He states himself, DCS is not DCC, as a selling point for his product. They do not mix and match.

Hal, King Toot gave you a great answer. The only thing I can add is that O scale has not standards, none of the various options play well or even at all with each other.

Lionel has opened their Legacy system to allow others to make things compatible, but none of the other manufacturers have done it, yet.

Thanks, Bruette, but King Tut has convinced me that the MTH controller I asked about is the one for my specific needs, as long as I stay with DSC.

Brakeman Hal

I have a new O-Scale 2-Rail MTH Steam Loco with Proto 3.0 Sound and a switch on the Tender to select either DCS or DCC.

I've been looking at the MTH 50-1029 DCS Commander for $250 including a 100-watt power supply.

Would this be a good choice for accessing all the sounds from my 4-6-2 Pacific steam locomotive?
I agree with the others. As much as I hate (probably a little too strong a word but not into word smithing at the moment) the MTH company, I believe their controller will provide the most sound functionality from the locomotive you have purchased.

Thanks, Bruette, but King Tut has convinced me that the MTH controller I asked about is the one for my specific needs, as long as I stay with DSC.

Brakeman Hal
So long as any further locomotive temptations are also from MTH, that will be so. Louis does raise an interesting point as far as DCC's use in the "O" gauge/scale spectrum. How many manufacturers in that range actually install DCC into their models? There does seem to be a much greater reliance on proprietary systems.

I'm considering dismantling my recently completed 127-foot O-Scale 2-Rail layout and replacing the trackage with HO-Scale Peco Code 83 Flex Track.

I'm becoming frustrated with the lack of selection in O-Scale 2-Rail equipment, while the choices are plentiful in HO.

I have 2 BLI HO Steam locos with Paragon 3 Sound/DC/DCC , and a Walthers HO Diesel loco with Tsunami Sound and DCC.

I would like advice on which Controller to buy which would be compatible to both Sound systems.

(I sent my MTH DSC Controller back to the factory for a refund today, as it would not be compatible with the DCC in my HO Locomotives.)

If I go through with this, then my Wife says I'd better stick with HO for the rest of my life!

Thanks,
Brakeman Hal, age 82

Last edited:
Ah! well now. Here you have several choices of manufacturer of DCC control, because there is an NMRA standard for DCC, and that is that any and all controller makers and DCC decoder makers must be compatible, i.e. all DCC decoders, regardless of maker must be able to be operated by all and any DCC brand of controller. In other words DCC has a universal standard, unlike the Proprietary brands such as MTH and another which shows a lot of promise and would probably gain much more acceptance if it's owner allowed model makers to factory install it, Ring Engineering's RailPro.

Digitraxx and NCE, would probably be the better known and regarded of the DCC systems, but there are others, including a number of European ones, but most likely best to stick with US brands. Personally, I use NCE's Pro-Cab-R 5amp, (R for walk around radio control) as does my club. Like any products that compete in the same market, each has it's own quirks and feature differences, but that most important one is that any DCC decoder equipped brand can be controlled with any one of them.

If you're going to build a small layout, i.e. a bedroom size or smaller, a Digitrax DCS100 5 amp system should be good enough for what you're doing. The reason for is: general support in trouble shooting problems you might run into with it. Also, there are plenty of them on eBay for a lot less than MSRP and they work just the same. The appropriate power supply, PS514 is pretty inexpensive too. Radio control is state of the art now regardless of the size of your layout. It gives you that ability to operate your trains from anywhere in the room, thus different perspectives of watching your trains. A single command station will also give you the capacity to run signals if you want to go that route sometime in the future.
So the things you would need for this Duplex system is:
DCS100
PS514
UR92
DT500D
Link the DCS100 to the UR92 with about 5 feet or so of loconet cable. Connect the DCS100 to the track with 14-16 gauge speaker wire. Connect the PS514 to the DCS100 with 14 - 16 gauge speaker wire and you are ready to run trains. Put a 9volt battery into the DT500D, plug it into the UR92 to sync to the DCS100, dial up your locomotive, unplug the DT500D and run trains.

Thanks everyone, but I wouldn't like walk-around wireless control!

That would destroy the illusion of distance between the operator and the train, which would be a detriment to me, not a benefit.

I operate from a fixed distance in my 20' x 25' Game room, and I like to watch my train approaching and receding from a distance, and a walk-around throttle would kill that advantage for me. I would rather see my train rounding the far bend of my layout, 30 feet away, than up close!

Brakeman Hal
012.JPG

Last edited:
You can get that distance perspective from anywhere in the room. You just have more perspectives with walk around.

You may not want to limit your options when installing. You don't have to walk-around just because you have one, just stand in one spot.

You can get that distance perspective from anywhere in the room. You just have more perspectives with walk around.

Yes, Ken...but you have one favorite spot for your one favorite perspective, and that's where I located my fixed control position!

A fixed position just feels better...like you're in total control of all points on the layout.

Were you suggesting that an 82-year-old retired Aerospace Lab Test Engineer doesn't realize that different positions in a room provide different perspectives? :rolleyes:

Hal

OK, Ken, OK...Thanks for the suggestion!
I see your point, but nevertheless, I'll never use a Walkaround Throttle.
Brakeman Hal

I would NEVER say NEVER!
I have never had a walk-around throttle of any type, but I can certainly see the advantage of having one- especially "radio controlled" when doing any sort of switching!

Hey Sherrel:

Switching? SWITCHING?

Man, that's one thing I never want to get into on my layout!

I like simplicity on my old age!

I want nothing more than to roll endlessly through the desolate wilderness of my High Desert on my 127-foot 2.09 mile closed-loop railroad!

Leave Switching, Sidings, Shipping Spurs, Turntables, Yards, and other complexities to the younger set in their 50's & 60's!

Brakeman Hal, age 82

Last edited:
Hey Sherrel:

Switching? SWITCHING?

Man, that's one thing I never want to get into on my layout!

I like simplicity on my old age!

I want nothing more than to roll endlessly through the desolate wilderness of my High Desert on my 127-foot 2.09 mile closed-loop railroad!

Leave Switching, Sidings, Delivery Spurs, Turntables, Yards, and other complexities to the younger set in their 50's & 60's!
Brakeman Hal, age 82

WELL You do sort of have a point - or, no points!
That is why I suggested leaving the O scale - then you could have two trains running in opposite directions :p

As all DCC decoders these days are dual DC/DCC operable, a dc controller might suit your purposes. MRC's Tech 6

Back