Where is everone?

There have been things which have been difficult to purchase. I know that Atlas Products where hard to get at one time, is this still an ongoing problem?

Some have announced that their production is back up and working on backorders.Intermountain is one.Walthers lost track product when Shinohara closed up but they now advertise they're coming out with a new supplier in the fall.

Greg@mnrr said:
I think many people just surf the Forums and don't post themselves.

Greg

Greg, I don't think this would explain why there are fewer people posting here than there was 1-2 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too often like me, I go my own way -- building small passenger cars after finishing the rebuild of my piker, lead me to build a small fleet of them out of old Walther's kits ... not many people today are into scratch building or kit busting. see a thread on this forum about kit busting a model ... Period pikes are going away. They look neat, but are just about impossible to build for the average Joe who is working on his "plywood central".

It is hard for people today to go back even to the turn of the century, not to mention the middle of the 1900's (1930-1960) to build something from photographs and they are not old enough to have memories of those days. Remember we are a good 18 years into the new century and that is just about a full generation. What changes have been made in this past 18 years which would be memorable to build, or buy? The manufacturers are not getting into the "latest" loco - and - there haven't been a major freight car design released in ages. Just old stuff reworked.

Problems are still problems. Model railroading will always have problems with building to scale or close, anything. Not everyone is experienced with all the mechanical or electrical knowledge to make something like this, a model pike which looks like the real thing, come to life. Not everyone has the answers to those questions either.

In this forum, or nay other there are the usual gang of respondents, and a few trolls to toss in their 1/2 cent worth. Mostly the people who read thru the forum are looking for ideas, or answers to their questions, but don't want to look foolish to ask -- or -- respond if they have some kind of ideas.

Finally after 30 years of buiding pikes, running models, building almost anything you could imagine, I am reluctant to give advise due to I don't know how it will be accepted. My way is different then a lot of others, and like any hobby there is no "real" or "correct" way of doing things.

Just my 2 cents worth, YMMV --

The Aerojet

Many times I will scan the forum to see if there is anything new that interests me. If not, I will go on to other forums I habituate. My relatively small (folded dogbone in a 14' x 14' dedicated room) is pretty much completed, although I will find things to add or change. OTOH, I still enjoy some kitbashing, and am converting a few of my 60+ years collection of locomotives to DCC from DC (time and finances permitting). In spite of relative proximity of railroads, I think fewer and fewer younger people are interested in them or in modelling them. Having ridden passenger trains as a child and teenager, I find much of present-day railroads somewhat boring. Maybe that is why younger people aren't as interested nowadays. I dunno...

Many times I will scan the forum to see if there is anything new that interests me. If not, I will go on to other forums I habituate. My relatively small (folded dogbone in a 14' x 14' dedicated room) is pretty much completed, although I will find things to add or change. OTOH, I still enjoy some kitbashing, and am converting a few of my 60+ years collection of locomotives to DCC from DC (time and finances permitting). In spite of relative proximity of railroads, I think fewer and fewer younger people are interested in them or in modelling them. Having ridden passenger trains as a child and teenager, I find much of present-day railroads somewhat boring. Maybe that is why younger people aren't as interested nowadays. I dunno...
14 x 14 is SMALL?!

Realistically, no one is 100% interested in every subject in every forum. I scan the top topics and participate in topics that interest me. I don't participate in anything that I'm not interested in. It has nothing to do with being old or close minded, or set in my ways.

I maintain an "interest" in three separate "forums", but generally only participate in one. Many of the folks here, for instance are found elsewhere also.

Young people, have different interests and obligations, just like we once did. In many families, leisure time is limited. I never had the time to participate in many things when I was out earning a living.

FWIW, there are many younger people interested in Railroads and Model railroading. They just don't utilize this medium as much as older modelers do.

Boris

Everyone has offered great insight. My original post was simply wondering where the traffic that used to exist on this forum has gone.

Too often like me, I go my own way -- building small passenger cars after finishing the rebuild of my piker, lead me to build a small fleet of them out of old Walther's kits ... not many people today are into scratch building or kit busting. see a thread on this forum about kit busting a model ... Period pikes are going away. They look neat, but are just about impossible to build for the average Joe who is working on his "plywood central".

It is hard for people today to go back even to the turn of the century, not to mention the middle of the 1900's (1930-1960) to build something from photographs and they are not old enough to have memories of those days. Remember we are a good 18 years into the new century and that is just about a full generation. What changes have been made in this past 18 years which would be memorable to build, or buy? The manufacturers are not getting into the "latest" loco - and - there haven't been a major freight car design released in ages. Just old stuff reworked.

Problems are still problems. Model railroading will always have problems with building to scale or close, anything. Not everyone is experienced with all the mechanical or electrical knowledge to make something like this, a model pike which looks like the real thing, come to life. Not everyone has the answers to those questions either.

In this forum, or nay other there are the usual gang of respondents, and a few trolls to toss in their 1/2 cent worth. Mostly the people who read thru the forum are looking for ideas, or answers to their questions, but don't want to look foolish to ask -- or -- respond if they have some kind of ideas.

Finally after 30 years of buiding pikes, running models, building almost anything you could imagine, I am reluctant to give advise due to I don't know how it will be accepted. My way is different then a lot of others, and like any hobby there is no "real" or "correct" way of doing things.

Just my 2 cents worth, YMMV --

The Aerojet
" there is no "real" or "correct" way of doing things" Well I have to agree with that statement there is ONLY Better ways of doing something. I would doubt that perfect way of doing something has been reached to this day. Way back we had a member here who would post a photo of a new locomotive and I used to think " OMG What will he do to this one" After some time I could only wish I could do as good kit bashing and painting as the modeling he was doing. You do the best you can with what skill you have. Skill at doing things comes only after many failed or near fails as one learns the best way for him/Her. Well that's my lecture for the day.

Back