When to do what when building your layout

Y3a

Stuck in the 1930's
I used to teach Schedule Management. I used it to some success when building "Giant Scale" RC model airplanes. I'm now building my 4th model railroad. Bench work is up. Ran all the Bus wiring for DCC, Turnout power, LED lighting power. All track and turnouts in place, with Tortoise machines under. All manual switch throws have been done.

So what next?

I have 2 choices.

Paint the track, both ties and rails.

Start Stapling the screen in place for the terrain.
This is a new technique. I first staple the aluminum screen onto the Homosote top layer and bend and contour the screen, putting wood blocks under for some support. Next I thin some drywall mud about 30 percent with water in a disposable roller tray. I use a 'long fur' trim roller to put a thin layer onto the screen. Let the 1st coat dry about 6-10 hours and put a second layer over that. Now its strong wnough to use a dremel with cutoff disk to remove parts of the screen and replace it with carved and shaped chunks of green floral foam, which trees more easily mount.

The tools involved in painting are a compressor and airbrush.

The tools for scenery are a staple gun, scissors, eye protection, gloves, roller pan, and roller with replacement application rollers.

Should I wait until the scenery shell is down and then paint everything?

Run the trains next to ensure all the track works flawlessly. This way if any track, turn-outs, etc that does work correctly cab be changed.

After that then you could do some track painting or scenery construction in any order.
Just remember to cover the track when doing the scenery.

I suggest reading through a lot of the build threads to see the order that different people did their building and what problems they encountered and the corrections applied. There are some very good build thread on this forum. One of the best is here:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25919

^^ +1... get everything working properly before you make it pretty!

Past that, I'd paint the track first, then tape it off and do scenery, then do ballast. I paint track with a spray can, so it would get all over the scenery if I did it otherwise.

Been doing model RR for 45 years. I know the hobby very well. I understand the need to verify the track work before painting, but you'll still need to re-check it after you paint and then clean off the rail tops, points etc. Ballasting is the last step for me as it is a method of blending the track into the rest of the scenery.

At this point, I'm still thinking to do the scenery/terrain stuff next and THEN paint everything.

Well it looks like you were actually wanting somewhere to brag about your new scenery technique, rather than genuinely asking for advice. Even though most modelers use a different sequence I hope your 45 years don't fail you.

Good luck! Please share pictures of the project in process. It would be helpful to visualize your technique.

No, I haven't completed the scenery or used the technique in a large scale layout so I have nothing to brag about. I do try to do something different "outside the box" once in a while instead of doing the same old tired stuff over and over.

The advice I was asking for was more to get insight from others.

The basic plaster over screen technique is probably 90 years old at this point, so Its not an earth shaker. I've already used several different techniques in other areas for scenery. The green floral foam, with drywall mud on it was an early attempt, and those parts are removable, and just hide the edge between benchwork and walls.

I use a sedums, dried and painted for most of my trees instead of plastic trees, and I try to use as much natural materials as I can to get away from the lichen on a stick trees, or such.

Here is a look at the work in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iScOZrQ5yU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iScOZrQ5yU

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shiit, that is a nice layout you're building!

Tell us more about it.

Size, etc.

Can you post a track plan?

I don't think I've ever seen a steam locomotive double-head before. That's new!

I'm curious. What scale are you using? It looks like HO scale. Also, how large is your layout?

My experience is showing me the opposite of everyone else. Putting down scenery gets tons of junk everywhere - glue overspray, pigment overspray, plaster gets everywhere doing plastercloth...
For me, it works best getting the scenery down and adding the track later. i'm worried I may have ruined what little track I've got down!

so if your scenery work is messy, then do the rails later.

Holy shiit, that is a nice layout you're building!

Tell us more about it.

**** Its a twice around double track HO scale layout. Code 83 and #6 and #8 turnouts. Supposed to be N&W in the mid 1930's to about 1940. YES, The Y6b's and an A with a steel pilot are after WWII.

Size, etc.

**** 17 by 26 foot room. Benchwork is 58" above floor foe easier ducking under.

Can you post a track plan?

******Later

I don't think I've ever seen a steam locomotive double-head before. That's new!

I'm curious. What scale are you using? It looks like HO scale. Also, how large is your layout?

N&W double headed A and Y class engines a lot.
They also had a Y class pusher on the back.

Back