What's the Correct Era for These SP Cars?

2002p51

What is the correct era for these Southern Pacific passenger cars?

newlayout131.jpg

What is the correct era for these Southern Pacific passenger cars?
I am by no means an Southern Pacific expert, nor do I recognize that window arrangement (both look to be coaches), but the paint scheme is SP's "General Service" scheme they began using in 1954. It replace the Daylight and Lark schemes.

Non-stainless steel cars were painted stainless steel color, so sometimes it is called the "General Service Simulated Stainless Steel" scheme.

The confusing thing about the cars is that both of them have full skirting. Skirting had begun to be removed in 1951.

Last edited:
The confusing thing about the cars is that both of them have full skirting. Skirting had begun to be removed in 1951.

They're not exactly accurate high-end SP-specific cars. They're generic arrangements. Your post does a great job of identifying the correct era for the paint scheme though.

They're not exactly accurate high-end SP-specific cars. They're generic arrangements. . . ..

I'm okay with that. My model railroading expenditures have to come way down in the household budget and these were a very economical flea market find. I simply can't justify spending full retail on high quality, prototypically accurate models. These work well enough for me.

Late steam/transition era through the end of SP passenger service in 1971. The skirts would have been gone in later years but if you're just going to run them, then have fun! I started with similar models.

Back