Whats a good cheap backdrop material

dekker

I am to the point on my layout to start putting up my backdrop. I am looking for something that can curve a little bit and is easy to paint. I thought about drywall but I am looking for other ideas. Is there any kind of thin fiber type board that is cheap and would work well? I need it to be 24" high. Thanks!

If you have a craft shop nearby such as Michaels, you'll find several ideas such as posterboard. You could also paint directly on the wall or even use a bed sheet, depending on the theme.

I would use masonite. It is a thin fiber board, smooth on one or both sides, comes in 4'x8' sheets and is relatively cheap.

The Lowes here sells masonite for as low as $17 a sheet @ 4'x8', its great for the curves you wanna use, but I would suggest you not curve it tighter than 30 degrees.

You could also use a material called "foamcore" which can be bought at various hobby shops . It is bendable , easy to cut , paint , glue on etc.

1/4" luan plywood is a good, cheap background base as long as you don't have any angles greater than about 10 degrees, since it's not as flexible as masonite. It's probably about 1/2 the price of masonite.

I would do hardboard. Its like Masonite and often called that too. But Lowes and Homedepot will cut Hardboard for you, but won't Masonite due to the metal in it.

Its fairly cheap, and takes drywall mud and tape well. Prime it 2 times, then paint.

I used masonite. It's 1/8 " thick and in 4' x 8' sheets. It bends easily for coving the corners. I purchased my at Home Depot and had them cut it into 18" strips. If I was going to do it all over again, I would have them cut it length (24") wise right down the middle. I found that my backdrop was too narrow and the white side walls can be seen above the backdrop when I was photographing the layout.

Larry

Back