What Online Hobby Retailers do you do business with?

Tony,

Is the shipping reasonable? Looks like a great place to get lighting for buildings.
Very very reasonable at $14 (USD) for FedEx International.

I had a quick look around and they seem to have a lot of stuff from LED's to Displays to everything you can think of, I think. Now, I have my fingers crossed that they are decent quality. If they are decent then I will be definitely going there for my lighting and things needed for it.

The LED's, Resistors and Switches all arrived from the Czech Republic this afternoon as promised and VERY well packaged as well.

Warm White LED's:

nIFUO8l.jpg

Resistors:

4aa2NeH.jpg

Switches:

9zvJ0y5.jpg

LED's and Resistors are in a flexible plastic tape which they "pop out" from. The Switches are in a clear plastic tube. I am very impressed with this company so far.

I'll have to echo the dissatisfaction with MB Klien. Just browse through their pages. Mostly 0 in stock. Not sure why they are not much of a shadow of what they used to be. Good way to shut a business down.

Ken! How you been Professor?!

I was at MB Klein a few weeks ago. I asked the guy pulling my order for me "How is Dallas, is he still here? His answer shocked me, "unfortunately". Obviously the new GM at our MB Klein is not popular.

There has been a management change at M.B. Klein/ModelTrainStuff? As far as the company having mostly 0 scale in stock, I see they are showing a grand total of 36,643 for all scales, with HO having 17,645, N having 9,455 and 0 having 3,579. I do find the website more difficult to navigate as I haven't spent much time there lately!

Management comes and management goes. How a company chooses to run itself is their business, mine is finding competitive pricing on products I want that are delivered in a timely manner. I will find out if M.B. Klein can; or, can't produce and if they can't I will find a business that can!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also believe that I am not as set on getting all my purchases the day before they are purchased! I understand that some companies are faster at getting their customers items shipped, than others. What I consider a reasonable amount of time others may consider unreasonable.

I started this thread in hopes of finding other good suppliers. Some of you have made great suggestions and I thank you.

Klein's departure from efficient, expedient service and customer service, about two or so years ago, coincides with the hiring of their new so called manager. It therefore, doesn't surprise me that individual is not popular. The last time I spoke with their Customer Service Manager his comment to me regarding their decline was a simple one ... he wished that they (Kliens) could go back a few years to how they did business then. Welcome to the 21st century of American business ethics, practices and principles!

Fortunately, there are still some "excellent" suppliers for our hobby such as:

Hatton's (UK),
Jim's Model Trains (PA),
Midwest,
Electron.com (Czech Republic),
DCC Concepts (UK)

Klein's departure from efficient, expedient service and customer service, about two or so years ago, coincides with the hiring of their new so called manager. It therefore, doesn't surprise me that individual is not popular. The last time I spoke with their Customer Service Manager his comment to me regarding their decline was a simple one ... he wished that they (Kliens) could go back a few years to how they did business then. Welcome to the 21st century of American business ethics, practices and principles!

Fortunately, there are still some "excellent" suppliers for our hobby such as:

Hatton's (UK),
Jim's Model Trains (PA),
Midwest,
Electron.com (Czech Republic),
DCC Concepts (UK)

Tony,

I see you have several UK retailers on the list. I wonder if most UK companies have exceptional customer service. The company I just ordered my backdrops from was from the UK and the customer service and shipping time were excellent. Great prices too. With the AUD to USD rate it was considerably less
Than the price on the website.

https://ajmrailways.com/index.html

I'll have to echo the dissatisfaction with MB Klien. Just browse through their pages. Mostly 0 in stock. Not sure why they are not much of a shadow of what they used to be. Good way to shut a business down.

I will have to agree with you on MB Klein. I haven't ordered anything from them since they updated their web site. I find it difficult to navigate along with so many items being out of stock. They used to be my first place to go but now I no longer look at them. Sad.

Nice to see you back on the forum. A lot of us miss your posts. Don't be a stranger.

I was just at MB Klein ModelTrainStuff and found their website to be a quagmire! I used to go there to find general information on prices and now find that to be pretty difficult to do! I want a website that allows very general searching and ease of access. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also feel a need to buy from U.S. companies, if I can.

Midwestrr
Lombard Hobbies
Jims Trains

All very good, quick service, good prices with clear web sites.

I will second Lombard Hobbies, they do have great selection and service. The downside for me using them regularly is I have to pay Illinois sales tax so my cost is 10% higher. They do though have stuff a lot of times that is long sold out at other places.

Tony I found that Midwestrr needed to be worded Midwest Model Railroad to find a link. Jim's Trains seems to be a good place for N-Scalers and not so much for HO.

I do business with those companies who sell O-Scale 2-Rail equipment, such as:

MTH

PDT (Public Delivery Track) The 2 women who run this Company are more knowledgeable about Railroads than anyone I've ever dealt with.

Petersen Supply Company

Ebay

Amazon

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
I recently ordered from Model Train Stuff and the order promptly arrived. I second Hiawatha Hobby and they have a large brick and mortar store. Lombard Hobby has worked for me as well has Blair Line, Bar Mills and Fifer for N scale products or scenery items in my case.

I have to mention Southside Trains, even without a website for all their products, a call will be handled by the owner Tom or just drop them an email for the products you are needing. Excellent discounts.

I travel to Walthers for a lot of my special needs and enjoy talking with the staff and visiting the Walther's Showroom.

Greg

I've also heard good things about Hiawatha Hobbies; although, have not used them as yet.

Just to expand this thread a little. What is MOST important to you when dealing with a company?

I've also heard good things about Hiawatha Hobbies; although, have not used them as yet.

Just to expand this thread a little. What is MOST important to you when dealing with a company?

For me it's that the company is honest and responsive. Anything I get beyond that is "Fluff."

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently ordered from Model Train Stuff and the order promptly arrived. I second Hiawatha Hobby and they have a large brick and mortar store. Lombard Hobby has worked for me as well has Blair Line, Bar Mills and Fifer for N scale products or scenery items in my case.

I have to mention Southside Trains, even without a website for all their products, a call will be handled by the owner Tom or just drop them an email for the products you are needing. Excellent discounts.

I travel to Walthers for a lot of my special needs and enjoy talking with the staff and visiting the Walther's Showroom.

Greg

Just because people are complaining about ModelTrainStuff, doesn't mean I am going to quit using them. I have not purchased anything from them since last winter, sort of before all the complaining started here on the Forum. For me it remains to be seen if they are not worth the time. I tend to make up my own mind about these types of things!

Back