What Online Hobby Retailers do you do business with?

Not for nothing, but the last three orders from Kleins were executed promptly. The one that I specified UPS instead of USPS was delivered withinthree days of order.

I found that when I log on to the web site, I go to the "Home" page, then set the filters for my scale (HO), and specify only in stock items, then brouse through the list of products, (newest first). This eliminates scrolling through numerous items no longer available. Once I reach the point when I recall the items on the page, I stop browsing. Eliminating out of stock items is an improvement over the previous system.

I also like searching for specific products, by searching for in stock product by manufacturer. The filters are useful tools.

Over all, I have really slowed my model railroad purchases over the past two years.

Boris

Hattons in the UK (https://www.hattons.co.uk/). But who knows what impact Brexit and the trade wars with China will have in 2019. But then I model both UK and US prototypes. For the US prototype I have a very good local hobby shop nearby and as they pick up the freight or shipping so it is competitive. Specialty items not in distribution channels such as resin kits must still be ordered from the maker.

I’ve used Hattons in the UK.....their service is superb. Here in North America I use, in no particuler order, Tonys Trains,M.B. Klien, Trainworld and Credit Valley in Canada. To be honest though I’ve cut back on Kliens, which was my preferred online shop because I really hate using their new webpage. I’ve also noticed that recently my orders from the US seem to take longer to transit the border for some weird reason.

Brass Trains.com. That's about it except fpr a few Craftsman kit suppliers who sell direct (Sierra West; Foscale, Bar Mills) Mostly I like to touch things first.

I'll add Michigan Toy Soldier, very good quick service for scenery items and Scenic Express if I hadn't already. Another company that I have great for wiring etc is Remington Industries also very good with a large range and very quick.

I can't find any Online hobby shops that sell Walthers Wheel sets, including Walthers! ModelTrainStuff doesn't show Wheel sets being available at all. Who do you guys use for Wheel Sets?

I’ve used Hattons in the UK.....their service is superb. Here in North America I use, in no particuler order, Tonys Trains,M.B. Klien, Trainworld and Credit Valley in Canada. To be honest though I’ve cut back on Kliens, which was my preferred online shop because I really hate using their new webpage. I’ve also noticed that recently my orders from the US seem to take longer to transit the border for some weird reason.
Yes my orders have been taking longer to process from Kleins. 3-4 days, but I'll still use them, I always gothere first to check their prices, have only seen them beaten a couple of times in all the time I've been shopping with them. Their website isn't as good as it was to get around and find stuff as it was, but the thing I like is they at least have kept their "Real Time" inventory going. If it says it's in stock, they've got the amount it says, in stock and, when you pay for your items, they come off that inventory immediately. The only improvement to that would be ebay's "Cart" system, where you can put items into the cart, commit to buy, and continue shopping , because by committing, you have taken the item's off listing, and pay when you finish. But you must then pay, no going back from that position.

I can't find any Online hobby shops that sell Walthers Wheel sets, including Walthers! ModelTrainStuff doesn't show Wheel sets being available at all. Who do you guys use for Wheel Sets?
For their passenger cars? I think they just sell trucks. I have replaced the stock wheel sets with Kadee wheel sets, but that means you can’t light the car.

I found some Walthers Proto 2000 wheel-sets on Ebay! I guess that even online hobby businesses are dumbing down there inventory for the people who don't want to build kits. To me this is a sad state of affairs!

It may be, Mark, that because Walthers themselves didn't have any, was the reason, other dealers are without. Did it have "Pending" or something similar, next to the listing at Walthers.

You can find Proto 2000 trucks; but, I don't seem to be able to find P2K wheel sets. However, I was able to find Intermountain wheel sets at good prices from ModelTrainStuff.

As far as I know, Walther's quit making the original P2K wheelsets not long after they acquired LifeLike. I had read that the tooling had worn out. They now make Proto wheelsets, which are so shiny that they look like full moons on freight cars. IM or Kadee are much better, although none can beat the original P2K.

Back