What Online Hobby Retailers do you do business with?

Digitrax makes great products and other than their un-helpful Help Desk, I am a loyal Digitrax customer!

Concerning Kleins, I have had two orders with them since the changeover. Both using their search filters, both successful. My only gripe with their new system is that browsing for new stuff is tedious.

I have numerous locos in storage with installed Digitrax decoders. Last time I had a question, they were prompt and courteous, however, that was several years

Following up on my recent comments about Hobbylinc, I did receive the package last Monday, pretty much as advertised, taking the advertised eleven days to process, ship and deliver from Atlanta to Jersey. Now, that I know their system, I am inclined to use them again under similar circumstances to the first order.

I'm with Genetk44, had one digitrax and never again.

We're all entitled to our opinions. Unlike you and Genetk44, I have had my Digitrax Zephyr System for close to, if not 20 years and it has given me wonderful trouble free service, I also have two hand held Digitrax throttles and many Digitrax Decoders and other Digitrax devices which have worked flawlessly. I also believe that most DCC manufacturers produce high quality systems that will provide their purchasers with long lived, trouble free service. So, my only problem with Digitrax has been their Help Desk, which up until recently had worked fine for me.

People will always tend to think the stuff they buy has to be the best, as after all, they bought it!

I tried Digitrax on my friends layout before I bought my system but I didn’t find it nearly as user-friendly or intuitive as NCE, which is what I went with. My friend,after trying my NCE system ditched his Digitrax and bought NCE. Since there is no big DCC judge up in the sky which systems are the best we just have to accept that it’s all subjective anyways.

I can agree with you that the NCE system seems more user friendly. Had I had friends who where model railroaders and could of compared the Digitrax and NCE systems and maybe other systems; too, I might have made a different choice. However, I don't recall NCE even being available when I made the jump to DCC. Not saying it wasn't, I simply do not know. Digitrax seemed to have a fairly large market share, when I started my DCC transition. I have found my system to be reliable and easy enough to learn to use. The thought of switching over to NCE simply because it is maybe more user friendly, seems like spending a bunch of money with very little payback! I am glad you like your NCE system as well as I like my Digitrax system.

I have continued to poke this Bear; but, would like to get back to the point of this thread and that is: "What Online Hobby retailers do you do business with"?

I wanted to Bookmark the HO portion of the website, just now when I tried to do this again, it shows the website as "Modeltrainstuff"! I found this to be the case for N, and O also. There must be a connection!

Actually, Toy Train Heaven is the Mail / Internet division of English Hobby in Montoursville, PA...owned by the English family, the owners of Bowser.

I just bookmarked Internet Hobbies. They are a full service hobby shop, offering other neat stuff, which amused me, and brought back memories.
The only downside to this web site, is that like the old LHS I dealt with many years ago, they do not stock much of the stuff I use.

I did not mean for this to become a bash M.B. Klein/ModelTrainStuff RANT site! If you have someone better than them, then lets hear who it is! I am not trying to stop you from posting your bad history with M.B. Klein; however, my history with them has always been pretty good. But, really, who do you go to then if you never have; or, no longer will, buy from M.B. Klein/ModelTrainSstuff? This last page of posts has recommended nobody and has simply been about Klein.
I'm still going to use Model Train Stuff because they're cheaper than anyone else. I'm on about 8 HO For Sale Groups on Facebook & that's who I'm buying from right now. I just bought 3 large Building kits from a MRR in N.C. Cheap w/free shipping.

I'm with you, Larry! I will continue to use M.B.Klein/ModelTrainStuff, as I find their prices the best, for the most part and I am maybe a little more patient than some people with the order processing and ship times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. For what it's worth, Klein's is still my go to place, although when I went on their site last night, it appears to have changed again...now that I got used to their interface...

Monday morning, I ordered some closeout Walthers passenger cars, from Trainworld, in Brooklyn, mainly as parts donors, for a modeling project.
They shipped Monday afternoon, and the parcel arrived at my local Post Office, yesterday morning... It was out for delivery yesterday, and last evening, it was marked as undeliverable, unknown address. [I've had the same address for 32 years]. I called them this morning, and I "should" get it today. My point is even when the vendor gets the merchandise out the same day as ordered, there is always something, somewhere to cause delay.

Whomever has the best deals, ...
To follow up on this comment, over the past two months for the "Louisville Railroad" the "best deals" was not an issue. The issue is who could get what I wanted, RIGHT NOW. The answer was no one. I had to go to five different vendors with multiple orders to get that. In order of what I ordered when....

ebay - ordered the undecorated Atlas wide vision caboose (this was before time constraints kicked in).
ChooChooAreUs - the locomotive. They just happened to have the exact loco in the exact paint scheme at the Rocky Mountain Train Show discount so it was cheaper than anywhere else.
Model Train Stuff - my main order went here over TrainWorld, but they still didn't have everything even after compromising code-83 to code-100, and because of web site issues I had to enter the order 3 times before I actually got it placed. Then they still shipped minus some very important pieces. sigh.
Walther's - first order to get the stuff that MB Kline didn't have.
Caboose - Union Pacific "building America" sloganed reefer car & KCS box car, bridge abutments.
Walther's - second order to get the bridges I hadn't quite figured out before the first order, and Caboose didn't have them for the order above.

After the time crunch was over.
Dallas Model Works - for a special structure that fits a spot on the layout perfectly
Walther's - third order for more rolling stock and paint.
I am now preparing yet another order for more stuff: an additional DCC decoder, more hopper cars, ground cover, rock detritus, coal, and other scenic elements (people, vehicles, animals), etc. Will have to go to a new vendor since none of the above vendors has any different open hoppers I want. Can you believe that? Open hoppers! - should be plentiful out there in Model Railroad retaildom.

to beat the side conversation to death - the new decoder will NOT be Digitrax. Despite owning a Zephyr myself and even purchasing a Digitrax Zephyr Plus for the Louisville Railroad, I have had most trouble with their decoders over other brands except MRC. MRC were just the worst - period.

Last edited:
After reviewing my accounting software I realized I had forgotten to mention eBay and Amazon!

Of all my spending on my trains I have spent 49% at eBay. MB Klein is my next biggest place to spend my train money at 31%. Followed by Amazon at 9%, Graham's Trains 1.4%, Train World 1.3%, and Lionel.com 1.2%. The rest account for less than 1% of my total purchases; Hobby Speed, Electric Train Outlet, LCCA (Lionel Collector's Club of America) and Toy Train Factory Outlet. I'm not going to mention the dozen of other vendors where I made 1 or 2 time purchases

Considering how much I have spent overall even 1% is a considerable amount of money. Now all I need is time to play with my toys, it's too bad I can't buy time!

Bottom line; I have had very few problems with any of the vendors I have used and the problems I have had I chalk up to "stuff happens". In the end I always have gotten what I paid for or have been satisfied with the resolution.

I keep in mind I'm buying toys, not emergency medical equipment or supplies. If my trains take a few days longer than expected, no big deal. Now if my prescriptions are late, that is another story.

Just another reason not to use the Digitrax system;)

For what ever reason that you dislike Digitrax, I am just the opposite. Like I have stated before I have owned my Digitrax DCC system for somewhere around 20 years and during that time it has given me trouble free and reliable service! So much so, that I have pulled my Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50 from the layout just recently and replaced it with Digitrax's DCS51 Zephyr Xtra. While I haven't had much time to operate or work CVs with the new system, my confidence in Digitrax is such that I can't see there being a big problem with the transition; or, unreliability issues surfacing.

As far as the Digitrax Help Desk is concerned, recent contact with them has shown me that it was one contact person there who lacks people skills, that I need to stay away from.

This post, like my other posts on this topic, has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, other than it being an endorsement describing my satisfaction with a particular hobby supplier!

I will be selling my older Digitrax DCS 50 Zephyr on Ebay at some point in the future, let me know if your interested.

I can now add another company to my list of "go to stores":

https://www.electron.com/

Based in Czech Republic, they are "first class". Placed an order for 210 items with them as 3:48 AM EST and received the Shipping Email and Tracking Number (FedEx International) at 6:44 AM EST, LESS than 3 hours to accept, process AND ship!!!

As soon as FedEx catches up I should have a delivery date and can let you know. I expect that it will take 5 - 7 days at a guess though.

Okay, seems as though FedEx is awake and, according to them, it will be delivered this Wednesday by 4:30 PM. Three days from time of ordering to having it in my hands (fingers crossed) and all the way from Europe ;)

As soon as FedEx catches up I should have a delivery date and can let you know. I expect that it will take 5 - 7 days at a guess though.

Okay, seems as though FedEx is awake and, according to them, it will be delivered this Wednesday by 4:30 PM. Three days from time of ordering to having it in my hands (fingers crossed) and all the way from Europe ;)

Tony,

Is the shipping reasonable? Looks like a great place to get lighting for buildings.

Don’t know if this was mentioned earlier. I made an order directly from ExactRail for 6 of the FBOX cars. Made the order Monday night, and had it on my doorstep early Friday morning. Orders over $200 and shipping is free. Will definitely use them again. The cars look phenomenal!

I've purchased from several on-line dealers:

Fifer's
Micro-Mark
Berkshire Junction
Trackside Scenery
Model Railroad Academy
Bar Mills
and....
Blair Line

All with fine results.

Greg

Back