What is your favorite freight car and why?

It would seem obvious to me that if your into more modern times, the box car would have less importance on your railroad.

However, Flat Cars, Hoppers, Gondolas all need loads to look like they're being used realistically. Spotting one of these cars at a business with a load on it and then hauling it away with the load still on it, isn't very realistic! I know, I do this all the time. That is the nice thing about Box Cars, they do not reveal whether they are loaded; or, empty MT.

Piggyback, refrigerators, and ACF Covered Hoppers.

Why?
Piggyback-due to its priority, and prestiege
Refers-again, a prestiege service, requiring priority handling
ACF Covered Hoppers-with the smooth, rounded sides, look more 'modern' than many boxcars, and more common hopper cars

I’m surprised no one has mentioned auto racks, thought for sure it would have made the list by now.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned auto racks, thought for sure it would have made the list by now.
I like the old auto-racks of the 1960s and early 1970s. One could see the cool automobiles going to market. I think the auto-rack cars of today are just big and bulky without much personality. Even if one could see the cars it woudlnt help much as they would all be the same blah blah blah none-descript designed cars they make today.

Here is a side thought, the new Tesla doesn't have many of the engineering requirements of older cars (no need for radiator in the front, fuel tank in the rear, etc.). Why, with the world of almost anything available to the designer, does the new Tesla look like ever other Corolla, Accord, Mazda6, Optima, A4, Elantra, M3, Malibu, Q50, AMG C 63, aka boring sedan on the roads today? Have we reached some "optimal" interior space vs comfort vs control vs aerodynamics factor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, auto racks are indeed one of my favorite car types! Having grown up in Southeast Michigan, a region populated by auto factories, I'd never consider my model railroad complete without them. My former LHS was able to get ahold of 45 MotorMax 1969 Ford Mavericks for me, enough to load up 3 open auto racks; and since I model the period from 1969 thru 1972, I don't need to have an entire unit train of them - I can just include them with my regular manifest freights.

Here is a side thought, the new Tesla doesn't have many of the engineering requirements of older cars (no need for radiator in the front, fuel tank in the rear, etc.). Why, with the world of almost anything available to the designer, does the new Tesla look like ever other Corolla, Accord, Mazda6, Optima, A4, Elantra, M3, Malibu, Q50, AMG C 63, aka boring sedan on the roads today? Have we reached some "optimal" interior space vs comfort vs control vs aerodynamics factor?

Ha, Ha, Ha,..... isn't that the truth.

Back