What is your favorite Building on your layout?

progress on Open Hearth #5

Attachments

• IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 303
Here is an ore bridge that I scratchbuilt out of brass, plus Plastruct stairways+handrails. Took me 10 months' worth of evenings and weekends to complete. It's a loose representation of one of the ore bridges at the docks of Great Lakes Steel's Zug Island plant near Detroit, MI:

ore_bridge.jpg

The hazy look was created by spraying 'fog-in-a-can', the stuff used onstage during plays at theatres.

Gary, both buildings are really nice. Which one did you build?
Thanks! The mine is named The Ira Katz Mine #2 in honor of it's builder. I'm afraid I'm not that good with wood. The other is the 'Oneida' after the native tribe that lived in the area I'm (very) loosely modeling.

Here is an ore bridge that I scratchbuilt out of brass, plus Plastruct stairways+handrails. Took me 10 months' worth of evenings and weekends to complete. It's a loose representation of one of the ore bridges at the docks of Great Lakes Steel's Zug Island plant near Detroit, MI:

The hazy look was created by spraying 'fog-in-a-can', the stuff used onstage during plays at theatres.
Holy wow! That is fantastic and impressive.

This simple signal tower was my first attempt at using techniques I learned in this forum for painting and weathering. I have built other structures, but this is the one that reminds of why I love this hobby. My thanks to all those that post in this forum and taught me many things.
A real nice job on a structure that belongs on the Model Railroading landmark list. I had it on my layout as a kid and I have it again. A real classic like that whole series of Atlas structures

A real nice job on a structure that belongs on the Model Railroading landmark list. I had it on my layout as a kid and I have it again. A real classic like that whole series of Atlas structures
Another Atlas classic is their Hillside Lumber & Millwork Company. I'd like to someday get acquire a few of them so I can string them together for what will eventually be an 84 Lumber distribution center. eBay has a few used built-up kits, but no "virgin" kits [I don't like cutting-up an already built structure].

Since I model my O-Scale 2-Rail layout in the manner of the High Desert where I live, it has no structures of any kind, because it represents the Desert's desolate sheer wilderness which I love!

My OSB track surfaces are built atop 2x4 framework and legs, and are covered with Gravel, Boulders, and Fiberglass Mountains.

I use no "girder'' type supports with their lightweight 1x2 and 1x4 lumber, only 2x4's fastened to wall studs with large lag bolts and to each other with steel angles and hex bolts.

There is not a single screw or nail in my benchwork, which is designed to support the larger and heavier O-scale 2-rail equipment.

Brakeman Hal
015.JPG
006.JPG
013.JPG
002 (23).JPG
005 (10).JPG

Attachments

• 002(1).JPG
    002(1).JPG
    148 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Thanks, SFW!

I have no structure on my layout that is NOT A TRAIN, but I will install a Water Tower when I add a Steam Loco to the Calico Freight Lines.

Hal
013.JPG

Last edited:
Another Atlas classic is their Hillside Lumber & Millwork Company. I'd like to someday get acquire a few of them so I can string them together for what will eventually be an 84 Lumber distribution center. eBay has a few used built-up kits, but no "virgin" kits [I don't like cutting-up an already built structure].

IB KEN -- I have seen examples of your scratchbuilding. Anyone who can build an ore crane such as you have shown, not to mention the caboose as well, could certainly build a lumber yard as you have described. Launch into it! :)

Yes, tootnkumin, I have no buildings, stores, homes, cars, trucks, people, animals, bridges, trestles, tunnels, rivers, or anything that is not the center of my attention and the reason for my layout, which is THE TRAIN!

The A/C has been running every time I've been laying track in the Game Room, and I listen to Classical and Country music!

Hal

Last edited:
Yes, tootnkumin, I have no buildings, stores, homes, cars, trucks, people, animals, bridges, trestles, tunnels, rivers, or anything that is not the center of my attention and the reason for my layout, which is THE TRAIN!

The A/C has been running every time I've been laying track in the Game Room, and I listen to Classical and Country music!

Hal
I remember reading about an outdoor O scale layout, with off the ground raised trackage. The builder considered anything wider than 6" for a track to sit on a distraction in the same fashion. He had a small amount of scenery, but just what would fit within those bounds.

PraireKnight: I built the same signal tower several months ago and installed the tower on a piece of foam and landscaped the base area on my work bench. I used rattle cans to paint the structure. Where the tower is located on my layout it's hard to access so being on foam I slipped the tower into it's new location.

I added a few extra details on the finished structure and light weathering.

The lighting is an LED from WS.

IMG_0347.JPG

I've had the kit for years and finally built it and installed it on the C&MN layout. I like the simpler kits for fun modeling. The tower is in the run down area called of my layout called Waupaca and the tower controls the traffic on the main line and into the future freight yard.

Greg

Last edited:
When I was a teen (many years ago), and first starting out in HO model railroading, there was an article in MR about building a meat-packing plant. I scratch-built mine out of balsa wood. The building was supposed to be brick, so I hand-scribed the bricks in the balsa with a #2 pencil. I painted it with Floquil paint, in Tuscan Red or Boxcar Red (been about 60 years ago!). I made a water tower for the roof from a piece of mailing tube, and cut the sign from an Oscar Meyer package. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I will. It is still located on my current layout, my third, showing just how durable it is, having survived several moves.

Back