What is the Name of Your Model Railroad?

Sounds like there should be a joke in there somewhere... o_O

Until I became interested in modeling the prototype and specifically the Northern Pacific, I called the layout the H.P.& N.W. This was sort of a play on the name C.& N.W. (Chicago & Northwestern). H.P. & N.W. stood for Hard Play and No Work. Since I grew up watching trains along the Northern Pacific's St. Paul/Staples, Minnesota division and liked the N.P.'s color scheme this only made sense. Sorry, the story is not Funny, nor is it very interesting!

Butler North & Ivywood RR

Back in the middle '80s, I originally named my model railroad, the Thorn Creek & Ivywood RR. In 2002, I renamed
it the Butler North & Ivywood RR. It's loosely modeled after the Bessemer & Lake Erie RR, some
20 to 60 miles north of Pittsburgh. Butler and Ivywood are towns along the B&LE road. The time period modeled
is the '60s to the early '80s.
For me, it was an easy choice to model after the Bessemer & Lake Erie (now CN) as I have lived within
3 miles of it, all my life.

Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy. Grashhook was the name of a fictitious place my grandfather used to kid about where he was always going to go fishing. Since I rode the Burlington Zephyrs as a kid going from Chicago to downstate Illinois to see him and my grandmother, I honor his memory that way. Of course, Galesburg, Illinois is an actual stop along the (then) Burlington Route, and the Western because my model goes somewhere out West (haven't figured out exactly where the large station is...either St. Paul, MN, or Denver, CO. The layout is a folded dogbone around a 14'x14' dedicated room, HO scale, in the 1940's - 1960.

"The Layout"

But some other good choices might be:
Union Atlantic
The Pewaukee Road
Pacific Coast Line
The OCD Line (where all the cars are in proper order)
Norfolk Northern

You see the list can go on...

Let's hope this doesn't become another 'deleted for now' thread.

One of my smaller branch lines
100_0924.JPG

[QUOTE=" <Much Chopping> I seldom see any references to layout names in the Forum except for several of the frequent contributors.

What is the name of your model railroad, what time period do you operate in and what is the general local modeled on your layout?

/QUOTE]

Mine is the San Luis and Rio Grande, Very loosely modeled after the SLRG in south Central Colorado. It operates in the modern day, but in a somewhat alternate universe where it is prospering and is a busy bridge line owned by the BNSF

TIM

The name of my pike is the Gorre Northern because it is a rebuilding, or interpretation, of John Allen's design in my space and also because of its association with the Great Northern and the Northern Pacific much as these roads were in association with the Spokane, Portland, & Seattle Ry and it is set in the Pacific Northwest.

I was really sad to see them tearing these grain elevators down. I remember them from before I-135 went through and everyone drove on Broadway.
WichitaGrainElevator.JPG

There are still several left, but I think I-135 was in place before the family moved to Kansas in '75. AT least I don't remember it not being there. I was starting HS when we moved. Hutchinson also at one time had the largest elevator in the world, but I don't think it does anymore.

There are still several left, but I think I-135 was in place before the family moved to Kansas in '75. AT least I don't remember it not being there. I was starting HS when we moved. Hutchinson also at one time had the largest elevator in the world, but I don't think it does anymore.
The two 1/2 mile long ones are still in Hutch, but they have been exceeded by one up by Salina and another down south ... Wellington maybe? Yeah I-135 was put through in 1966 or 67, but it did not connect to I-235 until after I started driving in 73. So it was probably brand new when you moved in. Then the K96 bypass was added / connected sometime after I moved away in 1979. I remember being surprised by the new traffic pattern when I came back for a class reunion in 1985.

I would take I-135 from 61st to 21st going to WSU almost every day. The Missouri Pacific yard was on the east side of this elevator and the Rock Island's on the west. They had a double track shallow "S" interchange between the two that was fascinating to watch the cars they exchanged.

Actually the old DeBruce (I think it goes by another name) near Haysville is about 80' longer than the ones in Hutchinson. According to what I've read, it was longer before the 1998 explosion. They took 30' off each end after that. That elevator is in the Guinness Book of World Records as such anyway. Still quite large in either case.

The K96 (Kansas State Highway) used to run all the way to Missouri. It now ends on the east side of Wichita where it connects to US54\US400. That bypass around the east side was completed I want to say in the late 90's. That east end eastbound terminus is bad for semis. It doesn't quite have enough lean in and is kind of tight if you exceed the warning speed signs.

I am not sure my layout has a name. Like Jazzdad it is simply the layout. It is based on the CGW in Northeast Iowa, Towns are named after towns on the CGW the main reason is so I remember what to call them.
Mike

Back