What Do you Use As a Fade Coat for Your Weathering Projects?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I for the most part never used a fade coat on my ore cars which are weathered using Pan Pastels, washes and spray paint. I am about to weather a "cheapo" locomotive and I'm looking for suggestions for a fade coat before doing any of the other weathering techniques.

How do you apply your fade coat?

Thanks.

Greg

Personally I use a very thinned out coat of white paint. Or the same color I am painting over 2 or 3 shades lighter. I air brush it on.

Testors Model Master Light Ghost Gray acrylic thinned about 4 parts thinner to 1 part paint. Airbrush it on in very light coats. Use multiple coats to get the effect you want.

Greg, I use ultra-thinned flat white, same as Jerome [above]. After each "shot" with the airbrush, I let it dry (only takes an extra minute or two) and then set the shell on the layout under normal layout lighting - to see what it will look like in its native habitat, as well as to avoid overdoing it.

Here is a before-n-after view of an Atlas GP40 I weathered using this method [shell only - trucks painted separately]:

BnO_3718_Before_n_After.jpg

Greg, I use ultra-thinned flat white, same as Jerome [above]. After each "shot" with the airbrush, I let it dry (only takes an extra minute or two) and then set the shell on the layout under normal layout lighting - to see what it will look like in its native habitat, as well as to avoid overdoing it.

Here is a before-n-after view of an Atlas GP40 I weathered using this method [shell only - trucks painted separately]:

View attachment 37878
Did you pull it apart into it's individual bits Ken? or did you mask the "glass" and number boards?

Did you pull it apart into it's individual bits Ken? or did you mask the "glass" and number boards?
Ray, I just pulled off the shell and applied pre-cut rectangles of masking tape over the windows. I've built-up a supply of sheet styrene templates to match the window shapes of the various loco and caboose models in my roster.

Back