What are your current projects?

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
What are you guys currently working on for your layouts? Let's see all of your "work in progress" projects be they scenery, engines, structures anything relating to your layouts.

What are you guys currently working on...? Let's see all of your "work in progress" projects.

Well, I've got this website I've been working on. :) I'm in the final phase right now, the new software is installed and up and running. Aside from a few minor glitches, it's going really well.

I'm setting up the last bit of the project right now, moving to a brand new and faster server. That will be happening in the next week or two.

My current projects are all rolling stock/passenger car related.

I have 2 X MT 50' Standard Box Cars waiting to be painted and waiting the arrival of the decals for them.

Have begun pulling apart, and striping, my MT Great Northern Heavy Weight Passenger Cars (5 of them) for painting in the "Royal Pacific Railways" paint scheme and detailing the interiors.

I'm installing a Digitrax Power Xtender in a Bachmann 2-6-0. The loco has a Soundtraxx sound decoder in it an Mr. Bogatiuk of Soundtraxx has sent me a photo of where to solder in the leads for the Power Xtender.

Nice start to the thread Bob ... and yep, I do believe that qualifies as "hobby/layout" related :)

Well, it’s model railroad related, and it’s either a hobby or a charity, not sure which, but it’s not an income, at least not currently. I keep hoping that will change. For now, the goal is to make what I spend on the place.

As I related in several other Threads, I have a section of the layout that's hard to reach and I want to finish this area as soon possible. Part of the area is will be a 5" x 12" hill scene that can be slid into position and the rest of the space will be an industrial area and a junk yard. Jobs include building structures and installing exterior lighting on most buildings. Most buildings are Cornerstone or DPM and are kit bashed to some degree. Bill board signs will be a feature of this area.

Woodland Scenics lighting is being used for the back alley lighting and Walther's wall mounted fixtures for the exterior lighting.

The spur track will be ballasted with Woodland Scenic's fine, black ballast.

This project is coming along fine and should be 80% completed in two weeks, less time if the bad weather continues.

Greg

Mike,

That is the plan yes but haven't started construction yet. I'm waiting for half decent weather so I can have windows open to be able to remove what's left of the HO layout bench work. When I do, it will be a little bigger than painting a few cars.

I, like Greg am working on Woodland Scenics light also. Got most of the street lights planted but will need another hub for all of the lights. I also will start weathering the dozen oir so new freight cars that I amnaged to come up with for eastern railroads. I had plenty to repersent western road, but very few for the east.

Just finished my covered bridge project although I want to change a few things. I have several projects still in the works. Bench work was completed today for the N scale UP Excursion set I have. I'm in the middle of converting the lighting to LED in the PRR cars we have running on the ceiling track. I found a boxcar body to test paint colors for the Polar Express running on the ceiling track. Still have to build the airbrush spray booth as well. Man, too much going on......

Since my benchwork and main line are now complete, I am going back to the 85% of the layout where the scenery is only partially completed. There is 165' of HO main line on each of two levels and about 60% of that is ballasted. Maybe 70% of the structures are in place but some may move as I study the areas more closely. Presently there are 70+ industries to switch. I still have industries and blank spaces with switches in place to accommodate more. Currently trying to decide where to go next with the scenery, lots of choices.

Willie

Since my benchwork and main line are now complete, I am going back to the 85% of the layout where the scenery is only partially completed. There is 165' of HO main line on each of two levels and about 60% of that is ballasted. Maybe 70% of the structures are in place but some may move as I study the areas more closely. Presently there are 70+ industries to switch. I still have industries and blank spaces with switches in place to accommodate more. Currently trying to decide where to go next with the scenery, lots of choices.

Willie

Where is a link to your layout,..size, photos?

Benchwork 1.jpg

Attachments

• Benchwork 2.jpg
    Benchwork 2.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 155
  • benchwork 3.jpg
    benchwork 3.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 155
Looks great Olie!

Well, can't ask for pics and not post them myself can I, so, here are my current "in progress" projects:

MT Pullman Heavy Weight Observation Car:

rHeElm8.jpg

25ld7Sk.jpg

The interior:

M2UBYLc.jpg

MT 50' Standard Box Cars:

Ely1XPY.jpg

qjKpk9a.jpg

The brown will be Box Car Red and most likely a N/S car. The grey one will be either a CB&Q or Pennsylvania car. Well, maybe, maybe not :)

Last edited:
I've got a number of things going on simultaneously. I'm finishing up the masonite lining of my train shed, and giving it multiply coats of paint to try and seal up that masonite. Only a few more ceiling pieces to staple in place in the next day or so, then a coating of some masonry/concrete paint I got a good deal on in 5 gal pails (second undercoat). Then comes some 'blue sky' paint for everything above main deck level.
DSCF2224.jpg

DSCF2225.jpg

I need a lot of paint as I also plan on painting up all the 3/4 plywood sheet material I purchased to do the dble decks, and the staging level roadbed. I plan on painting both surfaces of the plywood to try and seal it up as much as possible. I bought 10 sheets, probably too much, but I wanted to make sure I had all this same wood to complete the layout. I can always sell off what I don't use as it is nice quality stuff at a reasonable price.

Massonary Paint.jpg

This is the paint I got off craigs list.

I also picked up some 2" sq galvanized tubing I need to start cutiing up into certain lengths for welding up into some of my wall brackets at the 4 corners of my layout.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/multople-staging-areas-access-to-them.30150/page-2#post-430905

Also found and bought a number of 'metal bed frames' to utilize for some of my brackets for shelf supports.

And I've starting layout my pattern for cutting up the round roadbed I will be using in the helix. I will be cutting these using a router in the pattern.

Actually think I may start constructing some of my helix in the next several weeks.

Looks great Olie!

Well, can't ask for pics and not post them myself can I, so, here are my current "in progress" projects:

MT Pullman Heavy Weight Observation Car:

rHeElm8.jpg

25ld7Sk.jpg

The interior:

M2UBYLc.jpg

MT 50' Standard Box Cars:

Ely1XPY.jpg

qjKpk9a.jpg

The brown will be Box Car Red and most likely a N/S car. The grey one will be either a CB&Q or Pennsylvania car. Well, maybe, maybe not :)
I really like that blue, great color. Painting rolling stock is next on my learn-how-to list.

Back