What are these called?

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
I know that these were used to dispense oil and other lubricants in days of yore, and were used in farm country around here well into the 80's, but what are they called? And what color should they be?
01-16-20 002.JPG

Back in the olden days of yore when I was a little gas station manager, those were bulk oil dispensing tanks, and bulk oil pumps on the top. The pump was usually silver or grey, and the tanks varied in color, depending on what was in them. The newer ones I had were metered, as you had to crank them back to their stop, then forward to dispense the oil. They would crank out one quart per cycle.

Used to go along to the local "Servo" and get my canful of Castrol SAE 90 for the gearbox or 140 for the Diff and do my own changes and topups. The rectangular ones disappeared and they just swapped out 20 or 44 gallon drums after that. As I did sheetmetalwork, I even made myself a pressurised dispenser with a nozzle at the end of a hose to get the oil into the side fillers, once they deleted the removable panel over the gearbox and you couldn't use a funnel. Wow! I'm old. On the other hand, so were the cars.

bulk oil dispenser .. i still use them out at the farm [not grease], usually takes two people, one to hold the nozzle in place, the other one runs the lever up and down

originally mine had the adapter for flat face zerks,. such as originally fitted to a Cat D45T, and i changed it to a normal zerk, along with the D4 lube fittings .. i still have the cat and the lube pail, it's used for the rollers and front idlers ..

Back