Welcome to the Maine Highlands Railroad

Here are some photos of Buzz's Sawmill. This is a Woodland Scenics built & ready kit. I know, but I really wanted a sawmill to fill that spot on the layout and this fit and looked perfect. Still some work to do on the scene - toning down the gravel road and some weeds and such.

11-13-16 -- 012.jpg

11-13-16 -- 014.jpg

11-13-16 -- 015.jpg

Can you find the cat in the next picture?

11-13-16 -- 003.jpg

Next up will be pictures of Tiny's Trackside Café - a Bar Mills kit. It's finished and 'planted' but not yet sceniked since in the same section of the layout will be Blairline's Ernie's Gas Station which I am working on now. They will be where the book is in the above picture.

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

Dave

It's been a while since I posted anything. Problems with uploading pictures to my computer.
Seems it is fixed - at least for now so onto the pictures.
I will put these in two posts due to the four picture limit (why is that anyway?).

The first picture is an overview of the scene including Ernie's gas station and Tiny's Trackside Café.

1-9-17 -- 001.jpg

Now couple of Ernie's -

1-9-17 -- 8.jpg

1-9-17 -- 002.jpg

There was another of Ernie's but it seems to have disappeared. If I find it I'll post it later.

Comments/suggestions always welcome.

Dave

Now some pictures of Tony's Trackside Café.

1-09-17 -- 005.jpg

1-09-17 -- 006.jpg

1-9-17 -- 004.jpg

This final shot shows Mom getting directions to an as yet to be determined location while Dad hoists their son on his
shoulders to watch the C&NW 1078 roll by as it prepared to spot a couple of cars at the lumber yard.

1-9-17 -- 010.jpg

Again as always comments/suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool-looking work so far, Dave...I'm just starting on my own layout -- and all I have is a track plan so far, LOL! It'll be great to follow your work too...maybe will inspire me even more.

Nice layout, I think you're doing a great job of capturing the vibe of northen New England. I am also from NE (Rhode Island) and am starting a layout of a railroad here (Providence & Worcester RR). I look forward to seeing more pictures :eek:

Haven't been doing too much - winter blahs I guess. My latest project was this HO Flag Stop kit from Laser Art Structures. I envision it as a drop off/pick up point for people headed to a tourist hotel. At least for those who didn't want to drive. They will arrive in a single passenger car (small one) pulled by an old-fashioned steam engine. All part of the vacation package.
My question for everyone is does the kit look a little under scale? Here are some pictures.

2-5-17 -- 001.jpg

2-5-17 -- 2.jpg

2-5-17 -- 003.jpg

Sure would like to hear what you think?

Dave

My question for everyone is does the kit look a little under scale? Here are some pictures.
I usually judge by looking at the doorway and a scale person standing next to it. The overall size would be just fine for a few passengers at a small town flag stop or so, but if your passengers are arriving by the bus load to wait for the train and it is raining they aren't all going to be able to squeeze into that tiny building.

I find it more interesting that they have used horizontal slats, vertical slats, and diagonal slats in the walls. That is something I would have expected in a larger more ornate station.

This final shot shows Mom getting directions to an as yet to be determined location while Dad hoists their son on his
shoulders to watch the C&NW 1078 roll by as it prepared to spot a couple of cars at the lumber yard.

Dave

And of course the answer is going to be "You can't get thay-uh from hee-uh."

Back