Weekly Photo Fun 4-24/4-30

josh, what's your secret to a good, straight, bleed free line? I've tried jsut about everything with bad results....

Josh,

Lets see the awesome detail work on the B units pilots:) And yes there will be some warning labels afixed. Nice work

Dave Dane

josh, what's your secret to a good, straight, bleed free line? I've tried jsut about everything with bad results....

V&AL, try adding more air to your paint mixture so when you spray it, it doesn't come out real wet. That's the best method I've found to make nice clean lines.

V&AL, try adding more air to your paint mixture so when you spray it, it doesn't come out real wet. That's the best method I've found to make nice clean lines.

Be careful not to get it too dry or it will be bumpy. I just burnish the tape down with a wooden chopstick sharpened in a pencil sharpener and try to get the tape into the nooks and crannys as I go so it is not stretched and trying to come up before I start. Don't spray toward the edge. Spray perpendicular to the tape separation. Hopefully that makes sense....

EDIT: Jeffrey got it exactly right in his illustration below. Later go back spraying straight down on the model. Another reason to spray lighter colors first is darker colors will cover with a thin coat and you won't get a ridge of paint along the seperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
paintexample.jpg

No trains

This last weekend was a NO TRAINS day on the layout.

Was doing scenery and touch up on the layout and extension this past weekend and remove everything (trains, vehicles, houses, buildings, trees,
signs, everything that wasn't glue down) I could and clean it up while I was at it.

I took some pictures for a quick glance at the [scenic portion] of the layout while I re-installed buildings etc.

Note: Buildings are not complete yet.

Starting from the east end of the layout..........

EAST CHAMBLY. Main in the background and industrial spur in the foreground.

2009427161423_East%20Chambly.jpg

CHAMBLY. Chambly Station and main street behind.
attachment.php

WEST CHAMBLY. As seen from the station platform
2009427162056_Chambly%20Platform.jpg

WEST CHAMBLY. Further along with overpass and highway.Top track is main line. Bottom tracks lead to Lachine Yard
attachment.php

WEST CHAMBLY . Highway and main line (top) in the background.
attachment.php

WEST CHAMBLY . Same as above and main line ( and leading track) to LA CHINE YARD
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
moving along westward...

CHAMBLY HIGHWAY OVERPASS. Main in background and East Lachine Yard bottom tracks.
attachment.php

CHAMBLY OVERPASS Lachine yard to the west (right) jonction to the main line east (left)
attachment.php

LA CHINE YARD TOWER. Lachine yard tower and intry into classification yard.
attachment.php

EAST LACHINE YARD
attachment.php

LACHINE YARD. View of tracks arrangement. Main line on top (with siding) and Chambly highway.
attachment.php

LACHINE YARD
attachment.php

.........and further westward a quick sneek-a-peek. Scenery is in early stages.

Le RISQUIEUR. Main line is top with siding. Looking east towards Chambly. Bottom Tracks is spur to industry with siding. BAckdrop not yet installed on view divider.

attachment.php

Le RISQUIEUR. Same as above. Main line top heading to St-Lambert and Bonaventure (right) and Chambly (left)
attachment.php

All the tips to getting a straight line are great, but the two BEST tips are:

-Glosscote
-Straight edge, & cut the tape in strips with a knife

What I do, is glosscote (or future floor shine, depending on my mood) the whole shell, allow it to dry for 24 hours. I cut the masking tape (normal blue painters tape, the 2" roll) into about 1/2" strips, using a straight edge to keep the lines perfect. Place the tape on the model starting from the edge of the new color and work away. Work slowly pressing the tape on with a burnishing tool, don't secure the opposite end to the model, the tape does not stretch. Once masked completely, glosscote again, and again allow 24 hours, THEN paint the new color. I tend to thin mine a bit more then normal, and use more air for the first 2 cotes, then a little less air on the 3rd, and usually final cote.

I'll try to video tape my progress on the C6044AC I'm working on.

Thanks UP2CXS.

A backdrop makes all the difference for sure. I'm waiting for 2 more that I've order. It will be very nice I have no doubt. I like doign scenery but it is time consuming.

In the meantime more trains are arriving at Lachine Yard..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

MLW, nice yard scene but what's the story with the road above the yard? Is it supposed to represent a torn up road or what? It looks like it's in strikingly bad shape compared to the rest of the roads you have.

MLW, nice yard scene but what's the story with the road above the yard? Is it supposed to represent a torn up road or what? It looks like it's in strikingly bad shape compared to the rest of the roads you have.

Naw, that's a good highway for up here! :mad:
Maybe they should tax gasoline so they can fix them! :rolleyes:
Nice work!

Hi MLW: I, too like that backdrop, It really gives depth to a narrow scene. Also like the guard rails and weathering. Nice job!

Back