Weathering N scale vs a bigger scale.

Hunter2678

I've noticed something about weathered n scale. To my eye less is more in terms of weathered N scale engines. I looked at a few weathered versions at my local shop and they look like piles of crap. I think bc the size is at a point where weathering can easily become too much a distraction vs the equivalent on HO scale or larger. I recently weathered a few of my UP engines with powdered graphite and it looked great but the more I ran them the more I disliked it bc the overall detail became less visible. Anyone else think N scale weathering is a slippery slope and much harder to pull off than larger scales? Its hard enough for many people to see the detail on N scale locos and cars already so why do people go overboard on them when they weather?

Last edited:
Weathering brings out detail,just a light weathering can highlight the detail on the trucks of an engine.Photos help if you want to weather a certain model,I use CSX photo archives for example,or watch railfanning on youtube to get ideas.How it is done and how much can make it nice or over done.The bigger the scale the nicer it looks I have to agree,but it can also be over done.

Back