Weathering bumpers

Raincoat2

I'm using the Walthers track bumpers kit (12 bumpers per kit). I want to know how you guys are painting them and what do you do to weather and wear them? Also, do you cement them to the track or use a track nail to spike them in?

You're lucky to have found the Walthers brand. Walthers always seem to be out of stock when I need some bumpers. I paint (weather) mine with a weathering called "Old Rust" made by Monroe Products and give them a shot of Dull Kote and then leave then at that. I cement them to the track using Walther's GOO.

Greg

You're lucky to have found the Walthers brand. Walthers always seem to be out of stock when I need some bumpers. I paint (weather) mine with a weathering called "Old Rust" made by Monroe Products and give them a shot of Dull Kote and then leave then at that. I cement them to the track using Walther's GOO.

Greg
Greg - where do you buy the "Old Rust" paint? MJKlein? Your LHS? Some other place?

Greg

Greg,

This link shows Walters' current lineup of Monroe weathering powders. Missing is the "old rust" you cited.

https://www.walthers.com/monroe-models/category/products/tools-finishing

Perhaps it's now going by another name. Which one of the serveral rust shades shown here most replicates your "old rust"?

Try this for more complete information....

http://monroemodels.us/aim.weathering.htm

I have several large bottles of AIM rust solutions that I purchaed at TrainFest maybe 15 years ago and since then AIM which was purchased by Monroe Products so its likely they was some product and name changes occurred in the transition process.

The product in the old bottles have last a long time and in either case a shot of Dullkote is recommended to seal the products.

1575133518897.png

The liquid wash sets absolutely require a setting spray of Dullkote.

Greg

Last edited:

Back