Weathering an Engine

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I have "tried" to do some weathering on my F7 A and B units and would like some in put from the "experts".

MgV6Fvt.jpg

Comparison between weathered and non weathered:

0oYpB6d.jpg

The pictures make the weathering look heavier/darker than what it actually is but as said, would like some input from you guys as to how I can improve and what I might be doing wrong. I am using Bragdon Weathering Powders.

Those look like passenger locomotives, is that correct? If so they would be kept in a better state of cleanliness than a freight locomotive. I think they look fine.

flyboy,

Yes they are the passenger car engines. I didn't really take into account what they would be pulling so maybe the weathering isn't really needed or is a bit too heavy?

Regardless of whether they are for passenger or freight, there is always some weathering on the roof. Looks good to me. By the way, I'm no expert, just a casual observer back in the passenger days.

Willie

Tony, When I started weathering cars and locomotives, all I used was chalks. If you don't like how something turned out, it's not too difficult to take a wet Q-tip and remove the powder from the model. Now, I do most of my weathering using thinned acrylic paints and chalks. I thin my paints with tap water. I use grimy black, white and tan washes.

On my F-Units, I painted the fans and grills with full strength Grimy Black.

Back