Weathered well car

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Well cars are "easy"! Simple dusting with chalks!

dttx655058_03.jpg

dttx655058_02.jpg

dttx655058_01.jpg

Here's my inspiration car.
http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=39114

Looks damn good Josh! Way to show the rest of the forum what can be done with plain weathering chalks or pastels. My ONLY suggestion would be to add alittle more variation in the grime..i.e: some rust color around the ribs. Otherwise, it looks like a winner! I like the wheel splatter too...Nice effect!

-Rich

I'll try that on another car Rich. I was going to go lighter, with a little thin line graffiti on the next one, like this:
normal_dttx656012_040408_cajoncreek_01.jpg

Nice! I hope you post pics as soon as you get somewhere with it! Some folks may not agree with me on this, but graffiti on model railroad cars seems to be one of a few things not commonly recreated and yet makes peoples' heads turn!

-Rich

Some folks may not agree with me on this, but graffiti on model railroad cars seems to be one of a few things not commonly recreated and yet makes peoples' heads turn!

-Rich

It's something that I don't like to see, on rolling stock or anywhere else, BUT it is realistic and prototypical so it does have a place in a layout in certain eras. Just like some other things a lot of folks don't think about that I have realized recently should be added for realism, like dead fall in wooded areas, junk lying around industries etc.

It depends on whether we are trying to model a real railroad and be prototypical, or if we are just trying to make an idealistic toy train set?

While I am just getting started on the rebirth of my layout, I prefer the prototypical realism, even if there are parts of it that I wish didn't exist to be modeled. :D

Nice job Josh. I too like the the wheels spray. It's good to detail areas allot wouldn't think of because you never know the photo angle of a cam may show up. Great Job!...Well liked here!!

I'm not particularly in favor of graffiti either, it just happens to be a "trade off" of modeling the modern era as I do.

Thanks guys. I still have more work to go, I haven't even touched the wheels on anything yet, been trying to figure out a better base color first! Then after I'm all done I have to dig out a q-tip and some thinner to clean the tread of the wheels of all paint...

I'm a big fan of plain old chalk weathering also, Josh. Your well car shows how nice it can come out. It really fades the colors in a way that's hard to do with paint.

Grafitti is one of those things that seems to start big flame wars so I won't go into that much except to say that it's up to each modeler to decide how accurate they want to be if they're modeling the modern era.

Maybe its my age, saying I have only seen graffiti, but I think if it is done right, it can look amazing, just like a good weathering job.

Back