Waterfront / Harbor Scene, buildings, barges, tugs, detailed

beiland

I just had to post some pics of this waterfront scene I purchased from an estate layout that was completed by a master modeler. It's from a by-gone era up in a New England setting.

if you care to see it in person I am taking it up to the Timonium (Balt) Train Show this weekend and offering it for sale, as I move around too much to consider keeping it.
waterfront1.jpg
waterfront1 (2).jpg

I'll take some more photos this weekend

BTW, does anyone recognize that particular light house model/kit??
I found a few images that match it, but not the exact name of the kit

Beautiful piece of work. I could never buy something like that. It defeats my favorite part of the hobby, building scenes.

Wait till you see some of the close-up shots of the detailing...... gulls and even squirrels on the roofs, etc

I would never have the time nor patience to build such a scene.

I just found this video of the entire layout before it was dismantled. This was taken by the fellow in our club that is responsible for helping to find a home for estate layouts and inventory of those.

I hope I have provided the proper link that you can view:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PD_NMRA/photos/albums/1530596802/lightbox/1980698495

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PD_NMRA/photos/albums/1530596802/lightbox/

Looks like you can only view if you have a login for Yahoo Groups.

HELP I just don't understand the complication of trying to add images here I guess. Please help

I set up a Photobucket account with the images I wanted to place here,...and then referenced their URL in the image download,...only to be told that the 'file was invalid' ?????

(frustrated when I consider how easy this photo addition to a number of boating forums I participate in are)

Usually if I want to put attach photos, I either download them from my camera onto the computer first or just put the camera's SD card into a removable memory card reader and plug it into my computer. Then I open the picture I want with "Paint" or "photoshop" and "resize" the original photo to about 35 or 40% of its original size. That makes it small enough to add as an attachment.
To do this you click on the paperclip to attach file, which opens a window with the photos you've downloaded onto the site, you then click on "add file" then "select file", which should take you to the files on your computer, or on a removable disc. Click on the picture you want, the window will pop up again, choose "upload file" then at the bottom of the screen, click "done" and the picture should show up in your post as a thumbnail photo at the bottom of the post.

Or if you post pictures on Facebook, as I do, you may also be able to just "Copy" photos from there and "paste" them into a post here (as I did with this one).

Sorry these pictures are a little blurry. My contacts make me far sighted when I'm actually near sighted. With my contacts in its hard to tell when an image is in focus on my camera.
10153224_663561943690859_7799305257670193188_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10247408_663561930357527_5611183410643061231_n.jpg
    10247408_663561930357527_5611183410643061231_n.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 761
Last edited by a moderator:
Usually if I want to put attach photos, I either download them from my camera onto the computer first or just put the camera's SD card into a removable memory card reader and plug it into my computer. Then I open the picture I want with "Paint" or "photoshop" and "resize" the original photo to about 35 or 40% of its original size. That makes it small enough to add as an attachment.
Yes I do a similar thing with my photos. I even use this very nice (free) photo software called IrfanView to resize and clear up images.

To do this you click on the paperclip to attach file, which opens a window with the photos you've downloaded onto the site, you then click on "add file" then "select file", which should take you to the files on your computer, or on a removable disc. Click on the picture you want, the window will pop up again, choose "upload file" then at the bottom of the screen, click "done" and the picture should show up in your post as a thumbnail photo at the bottom of the post.
Yes I know this operation, but I was seeking to add a larger image of these photos such that someone could really see the detail work that had been accomplished on this scene. The 'attached photos' don't always allow one to see this detail.

Or if you post pictures on Facebook, as I do, you may also be able to just "Copy" photos from there and "paste" them into a post here (as I did with this one).
I am NOT familiar with this process. Would it work the same for photos posted in Photobucket rather than Facebook ?? ...(I try to avoid Facebook)

I got the impression that if you wanted to use the 'insert img' icon on this forum, that the photo had to have an IP address somewhere on the internet, rather than just be an image on one's computer? That's what I was trying to make possible by placing the images,... I wanted to post on the Photobucket site so I would have an IP address for each one.

Lets see if I remember correctly, when I go to 'insert and image' on some forums, I first have to download (attach) them to the discussion, then rather than just leaving them as attachments I designate that they be inserted in between the text of the posting I am making. It does not seem to work that way on this forum??

Is it possible that my images were just a little too large?....I had them as 1024-pix wide which works on a lot of other sites??

1_zps3ca7627a.png

DSCF3175_zpsabab99ae.png

I was doing a little experimenting with getting some larger images of the waterfront scene on to this forum posting. Looks like my second experiment above worked. Now if I can just remember how I did it, I'll get some more posted in the morning.

Sorry these pictures are a little blurry. My contacts make me far sighted when I'm actually near sighted. With my contacts in its hard to tell when an image is in focus on my camera.
10153224_663561943690859_7799305257670193188_n.jpg

Hi Jim,
Can you tell me where you found that big photo you posted?? I don't recall the source.

Aw ha, that explains it. Your camera did a pretty good job in that lousy lighting they have there.

How can you post a photo that big on this forum (949 pixels wide)?....appears so. Can you post one bigger (just wondering).

I thought perhaps you had to link to a web address to do so on this forum, so I was trying to set up a 'Photobucket' account. But I'm even having problems over there today. It seems to keep resizing my photos that are of a larger size, AND rearranging the order in which I've chosen to place them.

Guess I am just not a computer nerd....ha...ha

Your pictures look pretty large when you click on them. Then of course you could "copy and paste" so the larger image appears in the post.

attachment.php

I do know the 'right-click-copy, right-click-paste' routine, but that does not work on the forums, within the body of the posting,....does it?

Doesn't one have to use the 'manage attachments' button below, and then either simply let the photo attach to the end of the posting, OR utilize the little 'paper clip' symbol above and place the attached image within the text of the posting?

Or use the 'insert image' icon in the tool bar?

I've been trying these 3 methods without success, and to tell the truth I'm getting a little frustrated. This forum utilizes different software than my boating forums.

Where did you get the photo of mine you just posted above, and EXACTLY what steps did you use to post it in that 949 pixel wide size (I don't think I have that photo posted in that size anywhere?)??

Sorry for the hassle, but perhaps I can learn something new.

No one told me I couldn't copy and paste here on the forums (as long as they are my own photos and not something owned by someone else), so that's what I did.

No one told me I couldn't copy and paste here on the forums (as long as they are my own photos and not something owned by someone else), so that's what I did.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding,.... I was not saying that it was against any rules of the forum, I just did not know how you could do it ??

What size image do you start out with ?,.... Or does the forum software readjust the size of the image, if the one you are paste(ing) is too large?..... ie, how did you get that 949 pixel size image you posted above, and what is the significance of that size of 949 pixels-wide dimension?

And, do you avoid the 3 avenues I was trying?
a) any clicking on 'manage attachments' box?
b) any clicking on the icon 'paperclip' for attachments?
c) any clicking on the icon for 'insert image' ?

Back