Water fill on a Docksider.....

Old 97

Hogger
Hey folks,

I never gave it much thought before, but can anyone clue me in as to just how a Docksider 0-4-0 takes on water??? Is the water fill on top of the saddle tank? Also, where is the coal stored in the locomotive??
These little engines have long been favorites of mine and I've always been content to just operate them in mindless bliss, but I've since purchased a small water tank for the service track and NOW I'm curious to know how they were fired and serviced.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a water fill hatch right on top of the saddle tank, right behnd the smokestack. The Docksider model represents a B&O coal fired engine with the small bunker on the rear carrying the coal. They were all handbombers, with a fireman thowing coal into the firebox. Not much space to move around in the cab but these engines required very little coal once the boiler water was heated. Since they spent all their time switching at low speeds, the steam lasted a long time compared to the amount of coal used.

Thanks for the help guys. I did manage to find a photo of the REAL #98 in action! I also discovered that there were only four of these units built by Baldwin for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. They are the C16 class of locomotives and were called "Little Joe" by the crews.

Your information is correct. I've often wondered why an engine with only four prototypes for one railroad has been produced almost since the first days of HO and still continues to be produced today. There must be something about it that tugs on the heartstrings of model railroaders. I've always thought it was kind of ugly but maybe it's ugly in a cute kind of way. :)

I think the reasons are 1) one of the more famous models made was a Varney Docksider. and 2) it's a B&O prototype.

It's like what some manufacturer said once, you can sell any model as long as it's painted in Warbonnet.

Kennedy

Back